Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Blogs for everyone, 'on the house'

Started by Calin Jun 16, 2009 at 2:42 AM 14 replies 2.8k views
Original Post
Calin
Calin
Wouldn't granting the blogs to all gamedev acc encourage people to come to gamedev to show off their stuff, that would be a nice way to encourage the freedom of speech.
My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”
owl
owl
Yes grant us blogs!

Another feature that could be cool would be a "Snippet Wall", people instead posting 'source' tags for a reply on how to do stuff on a thread, they write a titled snippet wall in the snippet wall section which they link to in their reply and that can also be browsed by people later.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Calin
Calin
Quote:
they link to
or it could be a button at the post frame (next to rating, pm, etc.)
My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”
zedz
zedz
a laudable idea
two flys though

A/ extra bandwidth (perhaps even an order of magnitude) == extra costs
B/ decrease in revenue, from the X number of ppl that pay already each month

thus not a good idea WRT business sense
Gaiiden
Gaiiden
I can't explain why in detail, but this will soon be a moot point thankfully. While we'd love for existing Journal authors to continue publishing here on the site, several have already given into hosting their own blogs instead and just reposting to their GDNet journals with links back to their blogs for the full post. We understand the reasoning behind this and have come up with something in V5 to support these users and take advantage of the blogosphere in general to provide an even greater breadth of knowledge to everyone in the community.

If anyone knew of Andy Schatz's site Qatfish before he took it down (to help feed our upcoming endeavor), then you have an inkling of what's coming.
Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net
OrangyTang
OrangyTang
Quote:
Original post by Gaiiden
I can't explain why in detail, but this will soon be a moot point thankfully.

Ooo, sounds promising. Is there any idea (even very roughly) when "soon" is?

Personally I find trying to update two blogs/journals tedious and as a result my net posting rate has gone down. [sad]

programmermattc
programmermattc
Quote:
Original post by Gaiiden
We understand the reasoning behind this and have come up with something in V5 to support these users and take advantage of the blogosphere in general to provide an even greater breadth of knowledge to everyone in the community.


GDNet TwitBlogs confirmed.
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
Gaiiden
Gaiiden
Quote:
Original post by programmermattc
Quote:
Original post by Gaiiden
We understand the reasoning behind this and have come up with something in V5 to support these users and take advantage of the blogosphere in general to provide an even greater breadth of knowledge to everyone in the community.


GDNet TwitBlogs confirmed.

Says you :P
Quote:
Original post by MikeTacular
I've never heard of Quatfish, but after reading this I'm excited. I presume it will be a GDNet+ feature, will it not?

Not directly, no. That would be akin to making our entire Resources section GDNet+ only - you can still find them all our there on your own, but you wouldn't have access to the central repository. That would be pretty lame on our part, IMO. It's a big chunk of our content moving forward though so little bits and pieces may be GDNet+

And by GDNet+ I may not be referring to what you currently know as GDNet+...
Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net
Daerax
Daerax
gah. too much drama and suspense. spill the beans already.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
Quote:
Original post by Daerax
gah. too much drama and suspense. spill the beans already.

QFT. I leave for South Africa and Namibia in exactly 4 weeks for 2 years, during which time I won't have access to a computer, which means I won't be able to visit GDNet for 2 years. If you're gonna wait to spill the beans until after I leave... someone will die...
owl
owl
Quote:
Original post by MikeTacular
Quote:
Original post by Daerax
gah. too much drama and suspense. spill the beans already.

QFT. I leave for South Africa and Namibia in exactly 4 weeks for 2 years, during which time I won't have access to a computer, which means I won't be able to visit GDNet for 2 years. If you're gonna wait to spill the beans until after I leave... someone will die...


Would you mind telling us that story? I bet it'd be a lot more interesting :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
Quote:
Original post by owl
Quote:
Original post by MikeTacular
Quote:
Original post by Daerax
gah. too much drama and suspense. spill the beans already.

QFT. I leave for South Africa and Namibia in exactly 4 weeks for 2 years, during which time I won't have access to a computer, which means I won't be able to visit GDNet for 2 years. If you're gonna wait to spill the beans until after I leave... someone will die...


Would you mind telling us that story? I bet it'd be a lot more interesting :)

Which story? Why I'm going to South Africa and Namibia or who's going to die and how they might die?
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
I just hope that whatever GDNet decides to do, they make good their promise to integrate the Game ProgrammingDevelopment Wiki into their site. It really disappointed me that it was just casually tacked on onto the site after the (in my opinion) forced takeover. I understand that it takes time to fully merge it with the site; I just hope that they do it with the upcoming revision of the site, instead of waiting longer.
Quote:
Original post by MikeTacular
Which story? Why I'm going to South Africa and Namibia or who's going to die and how they might die?
It's obvious why you are going to Africa; because you need to lie low after the GDNet murder. The question is how will you kill them, and whether it'll involve kittens.
Prinz Eugn
Prinz Eugn
Quote:
Original post by Gaiiden
And by GDNet+ I may not be referring to what you currently know as GDNet+...


Well, I just shelled out the 40 bucks for another year, it better be awesome...

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal
owl
owl
Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
Quote:
Original post by MikeTacular
Which story? Why I'm going to South Africa and Namibia or who's going to die and how they might die?
It's obvious why you are going to Africa; because you need to lie low after the GDNet murder. The question is how will you kill them, and whether it'll involve kittens.


He was supposed to lie about it and let me find out his real intentions 20 years from now when he's out of the nambian prision and the first thing he does is comming here an posting about it...


... by that time I'll probably still be redesigning the game I'm never going to finish :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.