Blogs for everyone, 'on the house'

Started by
14 comments, last by owl 14 years, 10 months ago
Wouldn't granting the blogs to all gamedev acc encourage people to come to gamedev to show off their stuff, that would be a nice way to encourage the freedom of speech.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement
Yes grant us blogs!

Another feature that could be cool would be a "Snippet Wall", people instead posting 'source' tags for a reply on how to do stuff on a thread, they write a titled snippet wall in the snippet wall section which they link to in their reply and that can also be browsed by people later.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:they link to
or it could be a button at the post frame (next to rating, pm, etc.)

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

a laudable idea
two flys though

A/ extra bandwidth (perhaps even an order of magnitude) == extra costs
B/ decrease in revenue, from the X number of ppl that pay already each month

thus not a good idea WRT business sense
I can't explain why in detail, but this will soon be a moot point thankfully. While we'd love for existing Journal authors to continue publishing here on the site, several have already given into hosting their own blogs instead and just reposting to their GDNet journals with links back to their blogs for the full post. We understand the reasoning behind this and have come up with something in V5 to support these users and take advantage of the blogosphere in general to provide an even greater breadth of knowledge to everyone in the community.

If anyone knew of Andy Schatz's site Qatfish before he took it down (to help feed our upcoming endeavor), then you have an inkling of what's coming.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Quote:Original post by Gaiiden
I can't explain why in detail, but this will soon be a moot point thankfully.

Ooo, sounds promising. Is there any idea (even very roughly) when "soon" is?

Personally I find trying to update two blogs/journals tedious and as a result my net posting rate has gone down. [sad]

We understand the reasoning behind this and have come up with something in V5 to support these users and take advantage of the blogosphere in general to provide an even greater breadth of knowledge to everyone in the community.

GDNet TwitBlogs confirmed.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

I've never heard of Quatfish, but after reading this I'm excited. I presume it will be a GDNet+ feature, will it not?
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Quote:Original post by programmermattc
We understand the reasoning behind this and have come up with something in V5 to support these users and take advantage of the blogosphere in general to provide an even greater breadth of knowledge to everyone in the community.

GDNet TwitBlogs confirmed.

Says you :P
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular
I've never heard of Quatfish, but after reading this I'm excited. I presume it will be a GDNet+ feature, will it not?

Not directly, no. That would be akin to making our entire Resources section GDNet+ only - you can still find them all our there on your own, but you wouldn't have access to the central repository. That would be pretty lame on our part, IMO. It's a big chunk of our content moving forward though so little bits and pieces may be GDNet+

And by GDNet+ I may not be referring to what you currently know as GDNet+...

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

gah. too much drama and suspense. spill the beans already.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement