Original Post
Hi! I have some piece of software here, developed using SlimDX (D3D9) on a GF8800. I make quite heavy use of VolumeTextures, as I abuse them as 3D-arrays for a GPGPU use. The following call is my issue: VolumeTexture Stipples = new VolumeTexture(device, w, h, d, 1, Usage.None, Format.R32F, Pool.Managed); This works just smoothly on my desktop PC with the GF8800, but I now tried to run things on my notebook, on which I intended to present this software - it's my bachelor thesis, which is why I have reached a good level of despair now. The notebook has a ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, and the above call simply throws an "Invalid call" exception. I tried to run this with the debug runtime switched on, but that only leads to #Develop crashing at this point, and ultimately even less specific info on what went wrong. Also, running outside the IDE only lead to the message, that a user defined breakpoint has been reached, and crashing if I choose to debug. The texture's dimensions in this testcase were: w=560; h=375; d=7 That leaves me with a texture of about 5,880,000 bytes, and even accounting for some excess due to strides won't really make this huge. Some other processes from before in the program worked all well, however none of them used volume textures. Only 2D floating point textures (R32F too, so the format seems to be okay itself). Before I go on with the part with my problem, I properly wipe the device and all resources I used before, and create an entirely fresh D3D and device object. At the point of creation, it is the ONLY resource for the device. Nothing but a shader has been created in it's context, so I do not really expect lack of memory to be an issue here. But then, what is? Many thanks for any help! I've got to figure that one out until Wednesday, so please don't hesitate to throw every whatever improbable idea at me. I will test about everything! :) PS: Subtitution by N 2D textures is not a solution, since the depth is variable, and can easily reach ~100 and more. A hundred texture samplers in my shader are not really that feasible, and I do need all layers in it at once.