C++ Workshop - Expressions & Statements (Ch. 4)

Started by
41 comments, last by Dbproguy 15 years, 11 months ago

Welcome to the GDNet C++ Workshop – Ch. 4

For a complete introduction to this workshop, please look here. Workshop Overview This workshop is designed to aid people in their journey to learn beginning C++. This workshop is targeted at highly motivated individuals who are interested in learning C++ or who have attempted to learn C++ in the past, but found that without sufficient support and mentoring they were unable to connect all the pieces of this highly complex but powerful programming language. This is a 'guided' self-teaching C++ workshop. Each student is responsible for taking the time to read the material and learn the information. The community and tutors that arise out of this workshop are here for making the learning process run more smoothly, but are not obligated to baby-sit a person's progress. Because everyone will be working from the same textbook (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days 5th Ed.), students may find it easier to get answers to the specific questions they might have. There is no minimum age requirement, and there is no previous programming experience required. Additionally, this workshop does not attempt to defend C++ as a language, nor does it attempt to demonstrate that C++ is either more or less useful then other programming languages for any particular purpose. People who intend to start a discussion about the differences between C++ and ANY other languages (except as are relevant to a particular discussion), are encouraged to do so elsewhere. This workshop is for educational, not philosophical discussions. Quizzes & Exercises Each week will have quizzes and exercises posted in the weekly threads. Please try and answer them by yourself. As well, please DO NOT post the answers to Quizzes and Exercises within this thread. Once it becomes acceptable to post the answers to quizzes and exercises, an additional thread will be created each week specifically for the purpose of posting quiz answers. If you try with reasonable effort but are unable to answer the questions or complete the exercises, feel free to post a clarification question here on the thread. Tutors, myself, or others will do the best we can to point you in the right direction for finding the answer.

Chapter 4 – Creating Expressions and Statements

Introduction Greetings! Welcome to what might be considered the most fundamental chapter in the book - expressions and statements. Although basic layout and variables are an integral part of C++, even assigning a value to a variable is a statement. As well, expressions are the "number crunching" component of the language, and this is especially useful for game development. Any time a vehicle moves a velocity (v) over a time (t) it's going to travel some distance (x). Any time a person animates, or an object shows up in 3d space, or even in 2d space...we're using math. Expressions are how we do math in C++. Additionally, we will cover the 'if' statement in this chapter. Up until this point your exercises and programs have done exactly one "thing." The introduction of branching means your programs can now take different paths of execution. Beginning this week you will be given more "exercises" than before as it now possible to actually code something useful. This chapter is approximately 30 pages - not counting the summary, questions and exercises. Roughly half way through the week myself, tutors, or anyone else simply wishing to challenge their teammates learning C++ can post review and quiz questions in this thread. Please do not post the answers in this thread however, as a new thread will be created for that purpose. Outline of the Reading
  1. Starting with Statements
  2. Expressions
  3. Working with Operators
  4. Combining Assignments and Mathematical Operators
  5. Incrementing and Decrementing
  6. Understanding Operator Precedence
  7. Nesting Parentheses
  8. The Nature of Truth
  9. The 'if' Statement
  10. Using Braces in Nested 'if' Statements
  11. Using the Logical Operators
  12. Short Circuit Evaluation
  13. Relational Precedence
  14. More about Truth and Falsehood
  15. The Conditional (Ternary) Operator
Additional Resources None... Weekly Errata None... [Edited by - jwalsh on May 30, 2007 1:09:44 PM]
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
hi there,
i was just wondering where i could go to read information and posts on the previous chapters of this workshop because i want to start learning c++ but i cant start it until my exams are over at the end of the month.
will i be able to catch up to everybody if i start it then?
Mitsukai,

I'm glad you're with us. Let us know if you have any other questions.

If you follow the bread-crumb at the top of the thread back a bit you'll see that it takes you to the CPP Workshop forum. This is where you can find the previous chapters. The bread-crumb trail looks like this:

'Home » Community » Forums » CPP Workshop » C++ Workshop - Week 3 (Ch. 4)'

Additionally, if you go to the main forums page and scroll to the VERY bottom, you'll find the CPP Workshop. Rather than putting this workshop in the technical section, it was decided by the staff to keep it at the bottom.

Finally, you can just look Here.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
A couple of "clarification" questions:

Firstly, on page 70, it states: "An operator is a symbol that causes the compiler to take an action". The compiler, with the linker, convert source code to an executable program. Surely mathematical operators work within the executable? If the source code says "a = b + 2;" or "a = b - 2;", that happens when the executable runs, rather than having an effect on the compiler? Aren't the compiler and linker acting as an "interpreter" to translate (for instance) French to Russian?

Secondly, an "if statement" is of the form:

if (expression)
statement;

and if there are several lines in the statement, it is replaced by a block bounded by {}. I don't think that there should be a semi-colon after the } so which is correct, the example on line 40 of Listing 4.4 or at the end of the grey section on page 83? Are they both correct and, if so, under what circumstances is one or the other used?
Quote:
Firstly, on page 70, it states: "An operator is a symbol that causes the compiler to take an action". The compiler, with the linker, convert source code to an executable program. Surely mathematical operators work within the executable? If the source code says "a = b + 2;" or "a = b - 2;", that happens when the executable runs, rather than having an effect on the compiler? Aren't the compiler and linker acting as an "interpreter" to translate (for instance) French to Russian?

I'm a bit confused by this. What are you asking exactly? I cant figure out which part of the above is a statement and which part you're confused about. If I go strictly by ? marks, then the answers would be something like this.

When you build your executable all that remains are 1's and 0's. There are no equal signs, subtraction signs, etc...The 1's and 0's represent instructions for the processor to do things, such as move a value into a registry, move a value from one place in memory to another, and to take two values in the current registries, add them together, and output the results to a third registry. This process of working with registries, and performing mathematical calculations is at the core of everything a program does.

Operators in your C++ code are usually converted directly in to "Opcodes" or processor instructions. 'Add' for example has a matching processor instruction which has a matching Assembly instruction ADD, which happens to have an opcode of somewhere between 00 and 08. Whenever your compiler/linker encounters the + operator, it compiles it into the appropriate opcodes to instruct your processor to add values together.

Compilers don’t translate French to Russian. They 'compile' C++ into binary instructions which your processor understands. This is more than just a strict copy/paste of values, it involves symbolic matching, creation of opcodes, and addressing of memory locations within the instructions.

Originally people programmed in 1's and 0's. By 1's and 0's we really mean opcodes. Values which the processor recognized as being symbolic for an instruction and arguments. After which we decided there wasn’t any good formatting and the opcodes were all difficult to remember. So assembly was created. Assembly instructions are really just aliases for opcodes and the assembler takes your .asm file and "assembles" it. There is still a conversion into binary, but its not as complicated as the leap from C++ to binary.

Finally, we created "high level" languages such as C++ to make the code more 'readable' by humans. If I didn’t answer your question, can you re-post with a clarification. I really am finding it difficult to determine what you're asking.

Quote:
Secondly, an "if statement" is of the form:

if (expression)
statement;

and if there are several lines in the statement, it is replaced by a block bounded by {}. I don't think that there should be a semi-colon after the } so which is correct, the example on line 40 of Listing 4.4 or at the end of the grey section on page 83? Are they both correct and, if so, under what circumstances is one or the other used?

Technically, an 'if statement' is either of the two formats:

if( expression) statement;

OR

if( expression ) { <statements> }

However, the ';' is the character identifying the end of a statement, so putting it in at the end of a {} block does not constitute a compiler error. That is, the following is perfectly acceptable, though non-standard, and not common syntax:

if( expression ) { <statements> };

In other words, the grey section on page 83 is probably a "typo," but is still legal syntax.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Thank you.

I agree that I did ramble a bit!

I thought that it was an error when it said that "An operator is a symbol that causes the *compiler* to take an action". I was under the impression that a compiler (and linker) convert source code to a series of 0's and 1's that the computer understands and the operator made the *computer* take an action (i.e. adding two numbers) when the executable is run.

I appreciate the clarification about the unusual, but legal, syntax of a semi-colon following a closing curly bracket.
Just thought I'd contribute a tidbit here although I didn't sign up as a tutor. The below is written with no attempt to sugar-coat or take things slowly, and is pretty optional reading, but if you're willing to put in the effort I hope and expect you will find it useful :)

Usually, the set of statements following an if-condition are called a 'block' or 'suite' of statements. Every sort of block (i.e. matching pairs of {}, except for the ones used for initializing arrays) introduces its own scope for variables. The block terminates the if-statement; there is no need for a semicolon.

The scope is terminated by a close brace, after which whatever sort of statement/function body/etc. would normally be legal can begin. You *can*, as noted, put a semicolon after the close brace, but normally you wouldn't ever (it *looks* wrong, and never serves a purpose). The reason you can do this is because the semicolon simply indicates an empty statement (all zero 'tokens' between the close brace and semicolong), which is legal (and does nothing).

The reason you need a semicolon after a *class* declaration is because the declaration of a class is *not* terminated by the block, but by a semicolon. The class-declaration statement also allows you to specify global instances at the end: it's as if you'd written "typedef int myClass; myClass foo, bar;", except that you insert the definition of the myClass type in-line (within the braces) into that declaration of foo and bar. Normally, you don't want to use this feature (for one thing, because you're making instances, you'll have linking problems if you put it in the header; but if you put it in the cpp instead, other classes don't see your class's interface), but it's there for C backwards compatibility.
Also note that:

if( someCondition ){    // do stuff};

will compile, but:

if( someCondition ){    // do stuff};else{    // do other stuff}

won't.
Hello, i'm new here..

i wanna join this workshop since i saw it's very useful for me..

and now i'm trying to pursuit until reached chapter 4..

i hope people here will always help me as a newbie to study c++

thanks
Quote:Original post by Personal_Worker
Hello, i'm new here..

i wanna join this workshop since i saw it's very useful for me..

and now i'm trying to pursuit until reached chapter 4..

i hope people here will always help me as a newbie to study c++

thanks

It is our goal to help you - don't worry, we'll be there. Feel free to post any question you have ;)

Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement