Frame Rates

Started by
45 comments, last by owl 21 years, 6 months ago
This Happens:
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
so... that''s telling you that your framerate number has nothing to do with vsync. It looks like you are fill limited. Turn off alpha blending and I will guess you''ll see another substantial jump.

I haven''t done anything with TNT2 class hardware in awhile, but you might not be able to do better than what you see here. The only suggestion would be to find some way to use a smaller texture.

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
quote:Original post by CrazedGenius
so... that''s telling you that your framerate number has nothing to do with vsync. It looks like you are fill limited. Turn off alpha blending and I will guess you''ll see another substantial jump.

Thank you.

I noted that if I use D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE the animation flickers like hell... So, with this configutation, this large textures and D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT I''m limited to 60fps in 640x480x32.

quote:Original post by CrazedGenius
The only suggestion would be to find some way to use a smaller texture.

I also noted that if I use a small texture to render a larger quad, resizing the texture is slower than using a large one.
It''s probably worth mentioning that most software that targetted TNT2-class hardware used 16-bit as the default, not 32. If I recall correctly TNT2''s take a sizable performance hit when going up to 32-bit.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
quote:Original post by DrunkenHyena
It's probably worth mentioning that most software that targetted TNT2-class hardware used 16-bit as the default, not 32. If I recall correctly TNT2's take a sizable performance hit when going up to 32-bit.

That's certainly worth, thanks.

When I finish this little tetris clone, Direct3D will be a thing of the past

[edited by - xaxa on October 18, 2002 2:07:39 AM]
i don''t understand why changing refresh rates from your program causes so much concern. first, someone (a mod, Michalson maybe?) said recently that all monitors made in the past decade won''t put themselves into video modes that they don''t support. second, d3d provides facilities for enumerating video modes, including refresh rates, so you shouldn''t hardcode those at all. if you don''t want to enumerate, you can just check if a particular display mode is supported.

why not make a dialog box so that user/developer can safely change video mode parameters without requiring a rebuild/changing windows settings for display/tweaking drivers?
"When I finish this little tetris clone, Direct3D will be a thing of the past"

Is that because it''s going to take so long to finish or because you plan to move on to OpenGL?

This flickering and frame rate issues won''t dissappear with OpenGL. The advantage of OpenGL is that it''s a bit easier to get going and runs much much faster on older hardware (your card would probably do better). It won''t give you any advantages on the newer hardware though.

Once you hit nVidia''s GeForce line it''s just personal preference.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Tiberian Merchandise!!!! | GameShot ]
quote:Original post by KalvinB
Is that because it''s going to take so long to finish or because you plan to move on to OpenGL?

Because I want to know everything and learning everything takes time
I''m in the middle of Direct3D right now, when i get tired of it I will move into OpenGL.
quote:Original post by niyaw
i don''t understand why changing refresh rates from your program causes so much concern.

I was worried about the framerate, now I know that my video card is slow for doing alpha with large textures in 32bit mode.
quote:It is failing because you are setting the presentation interval to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE, when you should be setting to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT. You should be setting D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT to a number, like 85. I am not sure if this is the exact problem as I did not look through all of your code.

sorry but this is just bad advice.

Set FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE

Leave the refresh rate on default (0)

Thats all you have to do.
You will then get fps unlimited by the refresh rate (not that your eye will notice).

And use D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD

[edited by - andym on October 18, 2002 9:41:00 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement