ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

Started by
210 comments, last by Michalson 20 years, 4 months ago

|_______________________________________ ||					 ||					 ||					 ||					 | |			  ____		 ||			 /  x \__/|	 ||		*	 \-___/--\|	 ||					 ||		          0     O	 | |	//		 		 ||	\ \	             0		 ||	/ /	  			 ||	\ \	   			 ||_______/_/______________________________|[/code]  

mu ha ha ha ha ha
(last post was mine, wont let me delete it)

[edited by - Raptor85 on November 3, 2002 12:55:07 AM]
Advertisement
Could one of you experts give me some prompts to start. I want to use the "default" libraries. How would I enable all of this text handling stuff?
What compiler are you using? Most come with a standard "console" application template. Under Windows you want to lookup (on MSDN) the following Win32 commands to get started with "graphical" console output:

GetStdHandle
Use GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE) to get a handle to the console for use in other functions

SetConsoleScreenBufferSize
Sets the size of the internal buffer (stored used for the console)

SetConsoleWindowInfo
Sets the size of the actual console window

WriteConsoleOutput
Copies a buffer of CHAR_INFO records to the screen. Personally I find this is the best method for "graphical" content.

What are the maxium and minimum dimensions of the window and/or its resolution? Can we have a "fullscreen" aquarium with the tiniest of text?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
What are the maxium and minimum dimensions of the window and/or its resolution? Can we have a "fullscreen" aquarium with the tiniest of text?

As stated before it''s either 80x50 or 80x25 (Depending on your version of Windows you might not be physically able to do anything other than these 2 [except for 80x43]). The size of text is up to the user, though you can assume they''ll go fullscreen in which case it''s 8x8 or 8x16.
Gah I wish I would have had time and attention to get on this when it started. It would have given me a little project, rather than just writing handfuls of little handy code fragments that I might use some day.

Can''t wait for the next little project.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
How to submit these sweet fishy fishtank?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
How to submit these sweet fishy fishtank?

It will likely be by email to an email account (not my normal account, since hotmail doesn''t allow >1MB), or I might setup a web based file upload (though that will mean no progress bars/resuming which could be bad for 56K users. I also don''t know if the upload would kill my bandwidth restrictions).

This post qualifies for 100 per cent Canadian Content under the rulings of the Canadian Internet Commission and the Federal Ministry of Communication. There are four Americans who worked on this post, but they all have landed immigrant status, and have signed CRTC affidavits swearing that they drink beer, eat back bacon, drive snowmobiles and wear toques. Any resemblance between the Content of this post and the content of any American post is purely coincidental and not the intention of the poster or the various Internet Agencies of the Canadian Government who have screened these posts prior to bulk erasing in accordance with the policies of the Federal Internet Identity Board.
Grr i hate windows. Im used to programming MUDs in linux.

I havent programmed in windows since 11th grade which was in
'96.

Doing it as a win32 app not a console app cus i want buttons or
menus. Though i dont recall how to set the window size etc.

Oh well, ill just write my classes and worry about displaying the stuff later.

[edited by - tandaur on November 6, 2002 3:18:32 AM]
I have a question. I have many extra sources in my sumbission now that are not required to be compiled to run the ascii fish demo. (These are short programs I am writing alongside to make lookup tables and such for the main program)

My question is: DO all included sources need to be procompiled before the submission is sent (Reason for asking is DJGPP compiles really big EXE''s. I could include them all into the same program, but the code would get too messy to deal with i think.)

thanks...

-= Twisted Matrix =-
- Twisted Matrix

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement