The Official Radeon Ad Thread

Started by
553 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 20 years, 4 months ago
I didn’t like that add, but I did understand why it was placed on the site… I’m sure you do too.
But…
This capitalist world is, in part, the reason that you are able to enjoy most of today''s modern conveniences to include the computer that you use as well as the internet. If you choose to continue your ant-capitalist rant why not do it with a quill pen and some homemade paper. Of course, I doubt that you know how to make paper or the ink needed for the quill pen; essentially, you don’t need to know how to make these things because you can buy them. Basically, the luxuries that we take for granted probably would not exist if it weren’t for capitalism – or better put, if it were not for the competition that capitalism creates.
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Advertisement
Thanks for that Dak, however, the point of my post was completely missed by you. I'm not going to get into a debate/argument with you about capitalism in this thread. I am well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of our current system, a system where artistic integrity commonly takes a back seat to the bottom line...and in the game industry, so does quality at times.

And the idea that technology is simply a product of a capitalist society is absolute BS.

[edited by - Redline on November 17, 2002 8:16:52 PM]
LOL, Yea, ok... I re-read your post and I may have misunderstood the point that you were making... I apologize for that.

As for capitalism being a primary cause of technology... I persist in my belief, based on reading and study, that the pursuit of money has been the cause of many renaissances throughout human history, of which all have brought about new technology. Unfortunately, most of these advances have come in the form of weapons and then applied to civilian uses.

Even during the renaissance of Europe, which brought about advances in weapons, art, as well as the spice trade… it was all driven by greed, or the pursuit of wealth by individuals. A very good text, that I am currently reading, is titled Worldly Goods: A new history of the renaissance by Lisa Jardine (ISBN 0-393-31866-4). From this text alone, I am convinced that the pursuit of wealth has been the driving force behind all social advances, be they technological or otherwise.

Having stated those opinions, I feel I must also agree that, at times, artistic expression or integrity does seem to take a back seat to the bottom line. However, there are instances where quite the opposite has been the case… Greek vases for instance were highly sought after for their beauty as well as utilitarian uses. The potters even competed with each other and actually would inscribe their works with taunts to other potters. Here, they were making money as well as being as creative as they wished. Who wouldn’t want to be in that seemingly perfect situation?

Anyway, no need for us to continue our rant on this forum, I welcome private email with you if you feel so compelled.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
quote:Original post by Dak Lozar
The potters even competed with each other and actually would inscribe their works with taunts to other potters.

So... Kind of like the Word easter egg in which the WordPerfect logo gets beaten up?

*grin*

S''ok Dak, I agree with you that money is a great motivator in both innovation and general development, but then, that''s because money is a survival mechanism in a capitalist society. I''m not saying I "hate" this system, that would be folly, I would be more likely to argue from a philosophical perspective about human nature being augmented by the lifestyle that we have developed, that is, it supports our natural urge to fight for reasources. In other words, creates competition.

It can either be good for you, or bad. Some people get a kick in the nuts from it, others manage to flourish. Most of the time, how people do seems to have more to do with the nature of the people they come into contact with, rather than the system itself. Are humans (as a whole) just generally flawed? Of course...so what to do?

Okay, I will stop now as well. I could continue over email, but you seem to be more educated in this area than me
If the Ad is over, why is this post still here.
It should be closed.
I think it''s interesting to note that I just had the pleasure of seeing the same ATI add on Gamasutra''s site.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If the Ad is over, why is this post still here.
It should be closed.

[AUTO SENSORED]

[edited by - xaxa on November 23, 2002 11:32:49 PM]

[edited by - xaxa on November 23, 2002 11:34:13 PM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Capitalism may now be the primary justification for new technology, but science used to be the hobby of the aristocrats who didn''t aquire their wealth through doing anything. Most of the famous (English) scientists come from this era.

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (9th September)diaries for week #5

Also I''m selling a few programming books very useful to games coders. Titles on my site.

John 3:16
Good job, 28 pages already.

Is there some kind of "Fill Gamedev''s Hard-Disk" competition I''m unaware of?
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement