back face culling

Started by
9 comments, last by knownonlyash 21 years, 4 months ago
hi just a quick question is it quicker for me to do my own back face culling or should i let opengl do it? thanx
Advertisement
Let OpenGL do it. Use your CPU for things that arent handled by the GFX card
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
cool, wasn''t the answer i was expecting though. what else can i pass to the graphics card - no need for mass detail....
just thought i''d bring this up.. i was working on a demo and for some reason when i used backface culling anyone with an ATI card had problems with it (some triangles werent getting rendered in the terrain) but if i turned backface culling off there were no problems :[ anyone have any idea why ?
Thats because ATI cards are plain crap, they are below-standard outdated things that should be pre-emptivley put to death.

They cant hardware alpha blend properly either, its something you have to provide your own methods for.
I hope nvidia can just keep producing the fastest cards, I don''t want ati to exist.
What do you mean ''Someday become a programmer?'' I'm a programmer right now!
If ATI didn''t exist how much do you think you would be paying for your GeForce based card?
I don''t 100 % agree on the "let the graphics card do it".. if you can get rid of a texture switch because you culled the face, then go for it..

If you have more triangles with the same texture, then let the graphics card do it...

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
dont do backface culling on a hardware t+l card (eg gf, radeon it will be slower)]

>>Thats because ATI cards are plain crap, they are below-standard outdated things that should be pre-emptivley put to death.<<

depends on what ati card, the older ones were crap but the newer one eg radeon 9700 its drivers are practically on par with nvidia''s. not to mention it runs apps twice as quick as a gf4ti at high resolutions :D

>>They cant hardware alpha blend properly either, its something you have to provide your own methods for.<<

perhaps the card cant physically do it, eg the nvidia riva128 (which i used to own) couldnt do certain blending methods. quake3 looked like ass because of this

>>(some triangles werent getting rendered in the terrain) but if i turned backface culling off there were no problems :[ anyone have any idea why ?<<

most likely a bug in your code, try to narrow the specific triangles down + see whats happening.

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
Uhm, excuse me... (starts up VC++)

I''ve got a GF2 running a shadow volume demo
I''ve written with approximately 23000+ triangles
every scene.

With backface culling (on a hardware T+L GF2)
I get about 110 fps (1280 x 1024 x 32),

without backface culling I get about 80fps (and
besides that you don''t see the shadows any more )

So, do you have any proof for what you''re saying or
is that just a rumor?
How do I set my laser printer on stun?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement