Direct3D question

Started by
7 comments, last by Optimus 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi, Little question about Direct3D where I know nothing about.. When a 3D engine is created with Direct3D, does it use a function of DirectX to walk trough the world, like a viewport(when you move forward the viewport changes value and the whole world is calculated from that value so you see the word differently), or do you have to create your 3D engine completely yourself ? Make a viewport yourself I mean, putting in some objects looks like a peace of cake.. I hope you understand my question Nothing and all, by some meaning, no difference
Nothing and all, by some meaning, no difference
Advertisement
Lets try to get this on top.. , I really would like to know this before I get into DirectX

Please help, thanks

Hi Optimus,

DirectX doesn't come with an out of the box 3D engine that you can just include in your game and off you go on your merry little way. That'd be so boring don't you think? There's actually HEAPS of work YOU have to do. You have to create the engine yourself.

I'd suggest having a look at the For Beginners link here at gamedev.net My bet is you'll learn a great deal.

The next thing I'd do is grab a book that deals with DirectX. Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX has been recommended here before. While it's obviously about programming RPGs, it has been given great reviews for a good introduction to DirectX 8.0. I haven't read it, but I'm going to order it after I get my next pay

In short, it sounds like you need to do a fair bit of reading.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.

Good luck!

[edited by - Fingolfin on February 9, 2003 8:19:08 AM]
Merry little way ?
Eat shit
quote:
Merry little way ?
Eat shit

that''s touching.

My Homepage
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
I like your attitude!

Well, you have to create the engine yourself... around DirectX.
You have to program it, do stuff when other stuff happen and if that happens another thing is trigger... etc...

DirectX is just a way to connect with the user:

Diret3D - lets the user view whats up;
DirectSound - lets the user hear whats up;
DirectInput - lets the user *edit* your game;
DirectPlay - lets the user connect with other users!

I suggest you take the time and get into it, its worth it!

.lick
Err.., Fingolfin, I take that back oke, I totally misread your reply.., you are right that it would be boring and cheap, thats why I asked..
Here are my excuses
Thx Pipo, kort maar krachtig he
quote:Original post by Optimus
Err.., Fingolfin, I take that back oke, I totally misread your reply.., you are right that it would be boring and cheap, thats why I asked..
Here are my excuses

No worries Optimus. Best of luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement