powerdraw - rotateeffect

Started by
5 comments, last by Mav 21 years, 1 month ago
is it possible that the performance of the rotateeffect function in powerdraw3 is considerably lower than it was in powerdraw 2? back when i used powerdraw 2.3 the speed difference between rotateeffect and texturemap was hardly noticeable, but now when i use rotateeffect it takes up to ten times longer to render something.. is this a bug maybe?
Advertisement
RotateEffect uses texturemap function to render image. However, RotateEffect precaches meshes differently, that it was doing in PowerDraw 2.x, if you could put an example code, I''d check if this is bug in PowerDraw.
i''ll post exact code later, i''m not at home now. but i don''t think, it will help you much. it''s just like:

procedure TParticle.render();begin form1.pd1.rotateeffect(image^,screenpos.x,screenpos.y,angle,scale,col,pattern,emitter.effect);end;// the alternate code just uses rendereffect instead of rotateeffect 
i''ve written a small program to test the problem. it just draws a picture 500 times on the screen and you can switch between rotateeffect and rendereffect.
after switching rotateeffect the framerate stays constant for a while but after some seconds it drops rapidly.

testprogram

to lifepower:
could you find out if there is a bug? or is the new method just slower? then what is the advantage of the new method?
Greetz... the theory in new method is the following - all rotable meshes are cached... the latest used mesh is put on the top of the list... thus ordering mesh rendering is a good idea (i.e. rendering all 100x100 sprites, then rendering all 80x80 sprites, instead of randomly choosing each time which sprite to draw). Please, try this, if it doesn''t help, then it''s more likely it''s a bug in PowerDraw.
in the testprogram all the sprites are the same size...
maybe i''ll just take the powerdraw 2.x function and see if is faster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement