pico vs emacs vs vi vs edit vs notepad

Started by
48 comments, last by capn_midnight 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Witchcraven
Keyboard combos can be faster than mouse selection

Sure. They really can. But why not have both?

In Windows you usually have the choice. You can use the mouse. This is great for beginners. They can get started RIGHT away, without need to look at some big, confusing chart with many, many different combos.

Or you can use the accelerator keys. Like CTRL-SHIFT-B for compile in VS.NET. Great for intermediate/experiences users. It speeds up the process and spares my sore albow

When I need to use E-mac or whatever, I have 4 A4 pages next to me. I need them to look up the different commands, cause if I forget one I can''t default to mouse. There is no mouse. (well I know that some emacs have this "menu"-simulation. But not the one I need to use ).

I think Linux is ok; for some stuff. But please, the usability is not very high...

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Advertisement
not very high usability? Linux and *BSD have an insanely high usability because of just how customizable they are. The OSs'' codes are open source, so you can hack away at it to your heart''s concept, whereas Windows obviously is not.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m a fresh convert to FreeBSD, but I still have my Win2k for a number of purposes... namely game development with DirectX!

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | FreeBSD | gamedev.net
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
quote:Original post by zer0wolf
not very high usability? Linux and *BSD have an insanely high usability because of just how customizable they are. The OSs' codes are open source, so you can hack away at it to your heart's concept, whereas Windows obviously is not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fresh convert to FreeBSD, but I still have my Win2k for a number of purposes... namely game development with DirectX!

All right. Maybe I used the term "usability" differently then. I mean usability in the sense of user-frindliness. Usability as in a system that is easy to learn and remember.

Linux may be flekxible. I agree on that. But it's not easy to learn.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

[edited by - rohde on May 27, 2003 7:39:23 PM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Nothing important

For someone who insults me for being "condescending" and thinking everyone who uses Windows is "retarted" (oh the irony), you yourself are pretty insulting and juvenile.

Anyway, I suggest you reread what I wrote because I''m not going to correct your mistakes.

Okay, maybe a little.

Points 3, 4, 5 are still irrelevant. Point 3 is flat wrong. I''d give you the answer but your opinion of me wouldn''t change. I''m not in the habit of helping closed minded fools. Point 4 is still a problem with you using a UNIX tool in Windows with other Windows tools. Point 5 is still a problem with you using someone else''s computer and not vim. Why are you coding on someone else''s computer anyway???

I don''t understand the problem with point 1. Even if the cursor doesn''t follow, you''re not hitting any extra keys if does (okay, maybe in the odd case of the beginning or end of file where page up/down would make vim forget which line on the screen you were on, I don''t consider that a huge loss). If you''re really really intent on not losing that precious cursor position, :split, ctrl-w j, scroll, :q! .

I was trying to make a small joke about being crippled with Windows. I have never had a problem keeping files organized with *nix. I have had a number of problems wtih organizing things in Windows. It''s all a matter of what you''re familiar with. In this case, it boils down to using UNIX stuff in Windows.

For the record, I don''t believe anyone is stupid because of choosing Windows. Indeed, most people shouldn''t need to take the time to learn *nix because it wouldn''t provide much value to them. My parents don''t care that copying files could take only seconds in Linux or that they can recompile their kernel for more performance. They want to *click click click* and be done. For computer professionals however, I believe *nix provides a number of benefits. First of all being a broadened experience. "If you only have a hammer, everything looks like nail" and all that. Furthermore, I believe that learning *nix provides you with a better understanding your computer. Something akin to learning assembly gives you a better understanding of C and C++.

As for driving people away from Linux, on the contrary, I''ve personally helped several people learn Linux. I don''t push and I don''t assume it''s a cure all for their computer problems. If you''re interested in why I thought they could use Linux: 2 wanted to learn programming (C and Perl), 3 wanted to run servers, and the rest were just interested in learning, which I admire.

However, I do insult Windows itself on a regular basis. After using Linux for close to 4 years now, everytime I go back to Windows is just a horrible experience. Comparing Windows design decisions to UNIX ones is just so hilarious. Drive letters (not fixed to my satisfaction in 2k/XP), Explorer''s numerous UI abominations, ridiculously long folder names (C:\Documents and Settings and Options and Files and Your Neighbors Cat\Andrew), ugly ass themes that can''t change (StyleXP is timed shareware and the free one broke with the latest service pack; why should I have to hack this anyway? f''ing ridiculous). Overall, Windows is now one huge joke for me so pardon me while I laugh my ass off at its incompetence.
I am not happy with any OS at the moment. The closest thing is OS X, but aqua is not open source
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
I prefer Emacs when booted into Linux (curses version, not that X-Emacs crap ) and Ultra-Edit when booted into Windows. Both of them support the syntax highlighting I so enjoy
The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.
Well, I am a big Notepad fan when using Windows, but recently I''ve been doing a lot of work with Linux, mostly with KWrite and vi (I''m starting to really like vi, especially when I get errors like ''KDEInit cannot launch KWrite'').

|.dev-c++.|.the gimp.|.seti@home.|.dbpoweramp.|.torn.|.=w=.|
I generally tend to always come back to emacs, even after I try ide, or any other fancy coding environment, I will still tend to use emacs at some point during the course of my project. Although that could also be because 1. I hate vi 2. Our computers here that I ssh into run on solaris. So I will work remotely on CS machines to see if I can get away with something on CC(solaris C++ compiler). That and I don''t use windows on any of the computers I own. That and in spite of the steep learning curve, I have used it for about 1 year, and actually have come to grow fond of how evil it is.
Its all about vi. I started using it last year and had a lot of roblems trying to figure out what the commands were but now I do all of my coding in vi. Word just cant do coding because it thinks everything is misspelled, I hate notepad and wordpad with a passion and edit just doesnt have enough features. At first I was skeptical about vi but now being able to delete, copy or paste multiple lines without having to use the mouse is a breeze. In fact I keep having problems where I treat word as vi and keep hitting esc to stop typing or i to insert text.

"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
--Voltaire
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
I can''t believe no one has mentioned NoteTab. It''s pretty useful.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement