Visual C++ 6 Crashing

Started by
3 comments, last by Xairo 20 years, 10 months ago
I use Visual C++ 6 Service Pack 5, on Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2. My machine specs are as follows: AMD Athlon 1000 MHZ 256 MB RAM A generic DVD ROM drive A generic floppy drive GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB Sound Blaster Live! Value Whenever I go to compile a project, about one time out of ten, the compiler either gives me a memory error, or just exits at random. I lose all the settings that I set in that session of working on the project, and it's very annoying. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem occur, and if there is a fix, or if I could load on another operating system to make it not happen. (I have Windows98, and WindowsME, and.. Linux at my disposal) I've not had this problem happen in WindowsXP, but I didn't use it for long periods of time. This problem has angered me for some time now, thank you for any replies. [edited by - xairo on June 16, 2003 7:00:46 PM]
Advertisement
1) I''ve used it without problem on a very similar specification machine (same CPU, same OS, same CPU, same service packs etc).

2) Does this happen with ALL projects, including ones by other people ?

3) Are any of your harddisks low on space, particularly C:\ or the place where MSVC is installed ?

4) Likewise, have you turned off virtual memory or forced it to a fixed size ? [MSVC can use a lot]

5) Make sure none of the files in your project folder are write protected.

6) Try doing a "Clean" and then a rebuild all from the Build menu.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

1) I've used it without problem on a very similar specification machine (same CPU, same OS, same CPU, same service packs etc).
- It happens even after reinstalling everything over here.

2) Does this happen with ALL projects, including ones by other people ?
- This happens on all projects I've done lately.

3) Are any of your harddisks low on space, particularly C:\ or the place where MSVC is installed ?
- I have 14 gigs free on my C drive, and there are no partitions.

4) Likewise, have you turned off virtual memory or forced it to a fixed size ? [MSVC can use a lot]
- See above.

5) Make sure none of the files in your project folder are write protected.
- They aren't

6) Try doing a "Clean" and then a rebuild all from the Build menu.
- The problem occurs whether or not it's a clean compile or a normal build.

Thanks for your help.

[edited by - xairo on June 16, 2003 7:48:57 PM]
Bump
Same thing happened to me when I used VC6. It seems like they fixed it VC7.

I have a Athlon 1200 MHz
The crashes happened under both Win2k and XP

I think VC6 has something against Athlons or something

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement