Back with 3ds max problems ;o)

Started by
4 comments, last by Jake_15 20 years, 10 months ago
Which format should I export my 3ds max 5 scene to, if i wants to use it in my OpenGL application? I have installed flexporter and it runs. Secondly, I would like you to please give me a code example; you know, about the import of the model, setting background color and so on. Thanks for you help; Jake
Amen.
Advertisement
I used .3ds and source code is at www.gametutorials.com for import and render in OpenGL.
Game Core
I''ve created my own exporter for this. Sure it''s easy to use a format that already exists, but with an own format you can better choose which things you want from max.

For example, my exporter writes a binary format, splits meshes in sectors, separates them by material, converts everything into a new triangle format and builds triangle strips for fast rendering.
I prefer precalculating more things to get rid of long loading times within the engine.
_____________________________________http://www.winmaze.de, a 3D shoot em up in OpenGL, nice graphics, multiplayer, chat rooms, a nice community, worth visiting! ;)http://www.spheretris.tk, an upcoming Tetrisphere clone for windows, a 3D tetris game on a sphere with powerful graphics for Geforce FX and similar graphics cards.
I use .3ds; there are many sample .3ds loading code samples out there you can find.
Lyve,

Can you share your exporter? I have done one in MaxScript and some of the things you told you have done I want to do but don''t know how...

Did you used MaxScript or just created a plugin???

thanks
"Steel and Fire,Spreading the Holy Word,Dirty Liars,The truth has never been told" - Primal Fear
I'm a relative newbie to this but I have had good results using a piece of software called Deep Exploration by Right Hemisphere.

It is quite pricey but you can use it for a month for free so see if it is what you want.

It will export straight from .max files (you need to install a plug in into 3DS Max but it is included in the software) and it exports into a compilable state (Visual C++ worked anyway).

[edited by - rickp101 on June 18, 2003 7:15:50 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement