Re-Imagineering Unix

Started by
22 comments, last by Oluseyi 20 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
OLE is an old (about 1994) term for COM (Component Object Model).

No it isn''t. OLE is built on top of COM, and comprises a bunch of COM interfaces that components must implement in order to be linkable and embeddable. OLE is more like an old term for ActiveX, which has now evolved into dotNet.
Advertisement
.NET holds an interesting prospect for scripting. Since it includes, natively, a couple of languages (VB and Jscript.NET that I know of) with bindings to all .NET languages, and the scripts are JIT''d, any application that wishes to script their components can, and very easily. Say I have a C# program that has a bunch of functionality, but I want to be able to manipulate it through scripts. I build my C# program and provide simple (it''s not more than 25 lines of code) for running a script. I add references in a given script to my C# assembly, perhaps a few more .NET assemblies, and there I have it, fulyly scriptable. It doesn''t get much simpler than that.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
quote:Original post by SabreMan
OLE is built on top of COM, and comprises a bunch of COM interfaces that components must implement in order to be linkable and embeddable. OLE is more like an old term for ActiveX, which has now evolved into dotNet.

Yes, OLE and ActiveX can be used interchangably. However, as you said above OLE is based on COM and according to Eller (he was responsible for MS systems group at some point, forgot his first name) Microsoft decided to drop marketing OLE (and ActiveX) in favor of marketing the underlying technology - COM. You're correct though, my statement that OLE and COM can be used interchangably was misleading. Sorry about that.

[edited by - CoffeeMug on July 3, 2003 5:20:13 PM]
quote:Original post by Flarelocke
Why doesn''t anyone on windows actually use OLE (besides Microsoft, of course) already? As you say, the advantages are obvious with Office.

Or do they and just never tell me about it?

COM is the next-generation of OLE - everyone uses it. (and .Net the next-generation there-after-that).
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement