The X Window System is being mean...

Started by
17 comments, last by cowsarenotevil 20 years, 9 months ago
I''m still at the same friends house and we got the MBR fixed, so that''s good, but his video card, which is a Geforce4 MX 440, was not listed (it''s a fairly old version of linux because I didn''t have time to get a newer one), and the monitor (old, without manual) was also unlisted. We specified settings that we basically guessed on (SVGA, etc.) but regardless of what we do, everything is completely huge. It appears to be emulating the low resolution, and I know the monitor goes up to 1280x1024, so I''m really confused. One thing that I noticed was that his card supports 8bit, 16bit, and 32bit color, so is X trying to start in 24bit and causing problems? I obviously have no idea what I''m doing but maybe someone can provide tips.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement
Most likely the graphics card needs a better driver. However im not sure how all that works on this OS so I might be wrong.
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
I''m still at the same friends house and we got the MBR fixed, so that''s good, but his video card, which is a Geforce4 MX 440, was not listed (it''s a fairly old version of linux because I didn''t have time to get a newer one), and the monitor (old, without manual) was also unlisted.

If it''s an old version of X, you either need to upgrade it for real Geforce 4 support (although Geforces prior to the 4 should work moderately, depending upon how old the version of X is) or get the closed NVidia driver and install it.

One thing that I noticed was that his card supports 8bit, 16bit, and 32bit color, so is X trying to start in 24bit and causing problems? I obviously have no idea what I''m doing but maybe someone can provide tips.

In X terminology, the depth of the frame buffer doesn''t include the bits for an alpha channel. So, a 32 bit frame buffer in Windows-speak is 24 bits in X-speak.

step 1: Select ANY nvidia card... they all use the same driver.
step 2: Select another monitor with a similar name, this often works... if it doesn''t, just select aonther until it does.

you should now have a working setup.

step 3: (optional - if you want hardware accelleration) Go to www.nvidia.com and download the appropriate, hardware accellerated drivers, and follow the instructions on the website to get them installed.
Hey I remember your chat program that ran through netcat. I was wonder if I could take a look at the source.

I also think I may have solved your problem with netcat (no 1+ conns).

---
ConPong  _//_  Google _//_ Chaos Forge - quick and easy file hosting for developers

"Games usually keep me from making my own..."
-Me

---
---
ConPong _//_ Google _//_ Chaos Forge - quick and easy file hosting for developers

"Games usually keep me from making my own..."
-Me
---

find your elementat mutedfaith.com.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
step 1: Select ANY nvidia card... they all use the same driver.
step 2: Select another monitor with a similar name, this often works... if it doesn't, just select aonther until it does.

you should now have a working setup.

step 3: (optional - if you want hardware accelleration) Go to www.nvidia.com and download the appropriate, hardware accellerated drivers, and follow the instructions on the website to get them installed.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but there aren't any nvidia cards on the list. Unless a TNT card would work, I think I need a newer version. I think the monitor specifications were good though unless it matters that the refresh rates are slightly low.

EDIT: I would download the drivers, except everything is so big I have no clue what I'm doing. If I used a text mode browser would I be able to install them? Maybe from a CD on another computer?

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on July 7, 2003 10:18:45 AM]
quote:Original post by Iron Eye
Hey I remember your chat program that ran through netcat. I was wonder if I could take a look at the source.

I also think I may have solved your problem with netcat (no 1+ conns).

The source was something of a joke... all it did was modify a file for every reply, and then it would reload and display the file. If you actually planned on using it for anything, I think just about anyone could write a better one.
Yeah, that''s what I thought, but there aren''t any nvidia cards on the list. Unless a TNT card would work, I think I need a newer version. I think the monitor specifications were good though unless it matters that the refresh rates are slightly low.

EDIT: I would download the drivers, except everything is so big I have no clue what I''m doing. If I used a text mode browser would I be able to install them? Maybe from a CD on another computer?

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on July 7, 2003 10:18:45 AM]

What do you mean, they''re so big? Shouldn''t be more than a few megabytes. After downloading, it''s only a matter of starting the executatble, and you''re about done...

Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
quote:
What do you mean, they''re so big? Shouldn''t be more than a few megabytes. After downloading, it''s only a matter of starting the executatble, and you''re about done...

I think he ment that evertything *on the screen* is big, i.e. the resolution is low.
Ok, so now I got the drivers and ran them, and it says I need glibc 2.1.3. So do I download that now?

EDIT: If so, where? This is confusing

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on July 7, 2003 12:27:46 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement