hmm... d3d for parallax effects?

Started by
11 comments, last by cornmuffin 23 years, 10 months ago
"Optional 3Dfx and Direct3D support that offers near-perfect perspective, including scaling and parallax effects, to the game play experience." http://www.blizzard.com/press/000607.shtml scaling, okay, but parallax effects? why do you need d3d for parallax? I can imagine bits of explosions and fancy auras and other particle stuff, but parallax in a d3d? are they referring to the same parallax as middleground/foreground scrolling while background stays constant? cheers, muffin
cheers,muffin
Advertisement
It makes some sence.
You can put every Sprite or Background/middleground as an texture onto an Polygon, and D3D takes care of Alphablending them togethr, with 1 Bit Alpha or 8 Bit.
And they could even use the Z-Buffer, so that they don''t need to care anymore which sprite to draw first (except for transparent Effects).

Lars
--------> http://www.larswolter.de <---------
Although I haven''t seen the effect myself I believe that what they are describing is that they shear and scales the tiles so that when scrolling the top of the pillars and walls move a little faster than the bottom. This would require hardware transformation of the polygons, hence the use of Glide and D3D.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Parallax is something that''s done in 2D to SIMULATE a 3D effect. So I think it''s just marketing BS.

You don''t need to actually "do" parallax... it just "happens" when you view something (even in real life) in 3D.
Yeah, parallax just makes stuff look more "real" by making stuff farther away smaller while closer things are larger. You can make a 3D scene look 2D-ish by making the FOV really small, like around 10 degrees.

I''m lucky enough to be a Diablo II beta tester. :-) The D3D parallax effect is *really* well done, it adds a lot to the scene. From what I can tell, Diablo II uses a 3D card for 2D rendering (I wish I thought that they read my article! My article was, in fact, inspired by an interview with the DII team talking about how they did it). Very impressively implemented. They also have really nice lighting effect, and the rain effect seems to feature some alpha blending.

The game is still good in non-accelerated (DirectDraw) mode, but nowhere near as pretty.

I can''t wait for DirectX 8, it shouldn''t take 8 versions to realise that DDraw and D3D should have been the same API from the start!
Um, what''s a parallax effect and what''s the big deal with it?

------------------------
Captured Reality
The parallax effect is an optical effect that means that when you move sideways things that are closer to you seem to move faster than things further away.

I early 2D platform games this effect was simulated by scrolling the background at a slower rate than the platforms.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

how would you implement a parallax effect in directx?
so that it''s fast enough?
for example like in "moorhuhnjagd"
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
quote:Original post by lakibuk

how would you implement a parallax effect in directx?
so that it''s fast enough?
for example like in "moorhuhnjagd"

heh I played that game once....weird. Just do as witchlord says. But isn''t that just another way of saying 3D?

------------------------
Captured Reality

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement