string to variable ?

Started by
3 comments, last by bilsa 20 years, 7 months ago
Heh, I posted a message on the newbee forum about linked lists... but that post got totally messed up by me, so I'll give it another shot here. So after a couple of hours thinking about my problem my conclution is that what I need to do is something like this: Object { int nTestVariable; } char* sVariableName = "nTestVariable" object.sVariableName = 10; If i print object.nTestVariable, I want to get 10 as the result That is the effect I would want to achieve. The important this is that I need to be able to do the //object.(still not choosen variable) object.sVariableName = 10; //object2.(still not choosen variable) object2.sVariableName = 20; thing. Would be greatful for any help ! [edited by - bilsa on September 3, 2003 3:32:59 PM]
Advertisement
C++ has no introspection mechanism - you can't address variables 'by name'.

What language are you using ?

One option : pointers and member pointers.

int (Object::*sVariableName) = &Object::nTestVariable;

Object object;
object.*sVariableName = 10;

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on September 3, 2003 3:42:33 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I think what you''re looking for is a map.

#include <map>#include <string>std::map<std::string,int> myVars;myVars[ "SomeVariableName" ] = 12;

Am I correct?

-Odd the Hermit
In combination with a map :

map<string, int (Object::*)> ObjectMemberMap;ObjectMemberMap["nTestVariable"] = &Object::nTestVariable;object.*ObjectMemberMap["nTestVariable"] = 10;

Note - the type of the member and the type of the pointer must match.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Yeh guys!

Thats what I'm looking for!

Thank you greatly!

(the combination of member pointer and map)

and combined with a template that would rock!

(though... what i actually needed was the "&Object::nTestVariable")

[edited by - bilsa on September 3, 2003 3:51:35 PM]

[edited by - bilsa on September 3, 2003 4:00:36 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement