Tricks of the 3D GAme Programming Gurus: Advanced 3D GRaphics & Rasterization

Started by
7 comments, last by reiluke 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''ve been making 2d apps by following books samples and I want to leverage into 3d programming. Would you recommend that I buy this book "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus: Advanced 3D GRaphics & Rasterization"? I have his "Tricks of the Windows Programming Book" and it was really good. Question is, is this books to advanced for a 3d begginer? will I understand Direct3d when I finish this book? I''ve read most of the reviews but I thought I''d ask here for an honest review. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
quote:Original post by reiluke
Question is, is this books to advanced for a 3d begginer?

Depends. If you''re good at math and understood everything from the 1st book (specifically the chapter on rasterization), then you''ll probably be fine.
quote:
will I understand Direct3d when I finish this book?

No. The book doesn''t touch Direct3D; it takes you through the process of making a software rasterizer. Rather impractical, but educational.
How is it impractical? Not only does it give you an understanding of 3D graphics you would not have had otherwise, but it is also applicable to the handheld market - where 3D acceleration is not yet standard.
quote:Original post by twix
No. The book doesn''t touch Direct3D; it takes you through the process of making a software rasterizer. Rather impractical, but educational.

What do you mean educational? If read the book from cover to cover will it make me be able to understand direct3d faster? I''m not very good in math pretty much average. I''ve read the chapter about rasterization about 3 times until I understood it.

I''m looking for a book to learn 3d programming by pace, I have lots of direct3d books which is too complicated for a 3d begginer(3d math and stuff).

One thing that drew me to that book even though it does not tackle any api is that it has been number 1 in amazon last week and it has some pretty good review...so it must be pretty damn good
The book is really good But it''s for an intermidiate to advanced user..

It teaches you how to write a software engine in such a way that when you''ve finished the book it will be much easier to learn opengl/direct3d.

If you know how to write direct3d, it will be much easier how to use it

About the math.. there is one whole chapter about it discussing coordinate systems(normal, polor, spherical) and thinks like matrices, vectors, quaternions and somethings about integrals. I think you can get it with only the book but if not you can always search the internet..

It''s a good book and you will learn a lot but maybe you should first write a simple 3d game with direct3d/opengl before buying this book
I decided to buy the book.
Thank you the replies.
i bought it, nice and big, stoped as soon as i hit the math chapter, but ill definately pick it up again once im finished a few other books im reading
hi reiluke,
this is off topic, but i am also from the philippines, i''m a newbie game programmer, do you have any project atm? hope we could work on some cool, nice and simple projects =)

rgds,
craig_sebastian@yahoo.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement