Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What is the difference between sdk and source code?

Started by BinhNguyen Jan 19, 2004 at 6:26 PM 4 replies 10.4k views
Original Post
BinhNguyen
BinhNguyen
Hi! What is the difference between sdk and source code? I''ve been programming a game with my own 3D engine but now I''m planning to port it over to the half life engine and I was wondering what the difference between sdk and source code was. The forum search does not work and google has been useless. Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks! --- "Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?" - Robert Francis Kennedy (1925-68), US Attorney General ||Please try alpha002.zip(663k)
---"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?" - Robert Francis Kennedy (1925-68), US Attorney General||Please try alpha002.zip(663k)
alnite
alnite
Source code is...well..um..source code! You see the actual code.

SDK on the other hand, is a collection of libraries (in binary) ready to use.
Chacha
Chacha
SDK = Software Development Kit
Pipo DeClown
Pipo DeClown
Lib's
Source Code
Examples
Documentation
Tools


--
You're Welcome,
Rick Wong

- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on January 20, 2004 10:41:12 AM]
BinhNguyen
BinhNguyen

Hi!

The reason I am asking this is because when I worked with the Quake3 sdk there was a portion of the code that is hidden inside a binary exe file. This prevented certain aspects of Quake3 from being modified.

I was wondering if this is similar to other sdk''s?

I know what sdk stands for.

---
"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?" - Robert Francis Kennedy (1925-68), US Attorney General
||Please try alpha002.zip(663k)

---"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?" - Robert Francis Kennedy (1925-68), US Attorney General||Please try alpha002.zip(663k)
ch1pz
ch1pz
In the case of most commerical games (for example, half-life), their SDK usually only gives you the source code to the game implimentation, and not the engine. Game SDKs often, as has been said, include other utilities such as resource compilers.

If you wanted to port your game to something like the half-life or q3 engine, you are better off recoding most of it as they''ll all use different ways of implimenting a game.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.