What should I do now?

Started by
3 comments, last by Klindel 20 years, 1 month ago
Well I''ve been going through quite a bit of these forms now and wondering what my next step should be. I currently know a decent amount of C++ and a good amount of Java. It still seems basic to me though, not sure where to go for the next step. I am confident in my c++ skills at the moment but wish to try something that would really challenge me. I have an OpenGL book that I''ve just started reading, but I think I might need to learn some Windows code first, not sure though. I saw mention of a text game should be the next step. Would that be something like Tic-Tac-Toe? Or something else. Any help would be much appreciated.
Advertisement
How much C++ do you know, exactly? It seems that if you have a good grasp of intermediate C++ (classes, basic templates, basic exceptions, single inheritance) and you desire to eventually write graphical games, the next step would be to begin learning the Win32 API (which shouldn't take more than a few months), while at the same time working on your problem-solving skills in console mode (text). That's because Win32 can be pretty gory, and just learning how to properly create windows and basic graphics can be challenging, and your focus should be on the methods more than their application (not to say your study shouldn't be practical, just that learning the core of the API in an unadulterated manner is probably easier). At the same time, you can supplement your game development skills by writing things like tic-tac-toe and other such things (but don't get too ambitious - it'll only discourage you).

Once you have a grasp on how the Windows API works, getting OpenGL up shouldn't be too much trouble (it's just a pixel format and a couple of contexts to initialize), but you will need to develop an understanding of 3D math as you progress, or most of it will be much more difficult to use.

Best wishes,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[edited by - zealouselixir on February 28, 2004 4:13:27 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

have you heard of SDL? i have what you wold consider a mediocre knowledge of c++, but i have allready made my first 2d game and it only took me about a week or so. in fact, within 10 or 12 days of someone showing me this link, my game was done. check out cone3d.gamedev.net SDL ROOLZ!! ( its SO easy)

[edited by - graveyard filla on February 28, 2004 4:19:14 PM]
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
A good knowledge of Win32 is definitely recommended as later on if you decide to move on to OpenGL or DirectX then you will need how to create a window, handle messages and stuff.

If you want to experiment with OpenGL graphics without having to learn all the Win32 stuff first, or perhaps while you are still learning Win32 but don''t want to stop OpenGL entirely while doing so then you can use Glut which deals with the low level Win32 like creating a window and stuff.

Glut is not designed for large scale projects but for people like yourself who are just getting started with OpenGL/Win32 it gives you a head start for developing small games/demos
Ya I have a decent grasp on what you listed for C++, I thought going from C++ to OpenGL it seemed like I was skipping something. I might just check out the Windows API. Any good books for it that you can recommend? I think I'm also gonna check out the SDL as well.

*edit*
Ya I'm about to transfer to a University as a Junior in Computer Science(just about to start taking the fun upper division classes, and want to get a head start) and am thinking about doing a minor in math.

Thanks for the advice.

[edited by - Klindel on February 28, 2004 6:37:36 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement