Do gamers care for mini games in a game?

Started by
27 comments, last by Warsong 20 years, 1 month ago
It really depends on the game. For games that are long I favor many small fast and hightly replayable mini-games(and obviously fun ;D ); they provide the player with time to rest his mind. It''s a big plus if they are multiplayer games. I don''t like pokemons but I can''t say I hate them, but I remember I loved playing the mini-games in pokemon stadium 2 with my friends. So yes, mini-games do matter.
Advertisement
I do but I don''t like really complex ones. I actually enjoyed some of the games in FF7 at the gold saucer.

Those aren''t bugs, they''re added features
I think the idea of using mini-games to simulate socialization with NPCs is interesting. Now the CCGs in the recent FF games, they didn''t really have any socialization value. But I''ve seen other mini-games where your NPC opponent had a lot of personality, graphics that showed emotion, and good dialogue. Like the push-ups (I think it was) game in FF7, in the wall market - the minigame''s gameplay sucked, but the game was kind of fun anyway because of your opponent''s personality, including the fact that you were trying to get a crossdressing aid from a big tough athlete.

I think it''s generally good in designing minigames to make their gameplay as different as possible from the main game''s, to help keep the player from getting bored. I also think mini-games should produce some non-stupid benefit in the main game so players don''t avoid the mimigame because they see it as simply a waste of time. And minigames that are available for play throughout the game - perhaps the prizes or whatever could level-up along with your character so the mini-game doesn''t become obsolete?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Mini games can make the game. Take Animal Crossing on the GameCube, you can get mini games of some original Nintendo games to play of the Gamecube, like ExciteBike.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
The mini-games in Gold-Saucer (FFVII) are really cool:

* Chocobo racing/betting
* Motorbike game (protect the van)
* Snowboarding
* Rollercoaster arcade shoot-em-up
* Battle arena thingy
* Some submarine game I can't remember
* Cheezy arcade beat-em-up
* The Mog game.. what was that all about!?

I think thats all of them

[edited by - Zanthos on March 23, 2004 7:14:34 AM]
Another good application for mini-games is the ability to relive certain one-time events in the game. The Gold Saucer in FFVII is a good example of this. If you really liked the snowboarding level, but can''t really do it again, you can go to the saucer and play a simulation of it. It saves the coders from writing a whole wad of code that will only be used once, too.

In Majora''s Mask, the ability to re-fight the bosses could be viewed as a mini-game, as well. I think that being able to revisit high points in the game is neat, and mini-games are a good way to do it. For instance, in Ocarina of Time, I kept a game saved right before my first foray into the Gerudo Fortress, because I enjoyed the stealth level that it represented, and once you''ve done it, you can never do it again. Same thing with Gannon''s Tower. It was an ass-kicking series of straight-up swordfights, but once you get through it once, there''s no way to do it again. A couple of mini-games could have let me enjoy those experiences at will.
Excel 97 and 2000 both have great mini games. Far better then the Excel game it self. :-p
Just me
Mini games that have the same skill that the game requires I don''t mind and its necessary.

Mini games that are needed for the game to get ahead and are totally different in skills get to be annoying.

Mini games that are not needed to beat the game and are totally different are ok.

I think if a game goes by those rules that it would be better in a way. I don''t mind the challenge of some mini games and that it would be cool for some to help you get things sooner in the game but it shouldn’t be a necessary thing.

Freedom for a barbarian is to want to see violence. To glorify and show violence to a civilized person is to take away their freedom. Ela Reenie etho na Yelas "Profanity is for those who lack intelligence and imagination to otherwise express them selves." "You are what you repeatedly do; Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
All the best games have mini-games in them.

Motorcycle chase used in FF7? Forwarded the plot, led to a boss fight and was pretty fun.

Swoop Bike racing in SW: KotOR. Forwarded the plot, led to a nice chunk of cash, and was fun.

Always good to have a distraction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement