Do gamers care for mini games in a game?

Started by
27 comments, last by Warsong 20 years, 1 month ago
Do gamers care for mini games in a game? You know, games having within them small games that requires different skills which you have to pass sometimes to progress. I think they are cool sometimes but I don’t care for puzzle elements in an action game since I want some action, and if I wanted a puzzle game I would fiddle around with brain teasers. Thats my opinon.
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Advertisement
I do. For instance, in Donkey Kong 64, sometimes I would only turn it on to paly the old 8 bit original game

Mini games can make a game much better IMO if done right.
They're especially good if as a reward they give the player something (and item, ability) that is very nice to have, though not required for gameplay.

edited for comma abuse

[edited by - Veovis on March 19, 2004 11:13:32 PM]
If you only have one or two and the prizes are uber items (that you can't get them nowhere else), that's fine. If you have gazillion of them like FF where the prizes are like 100 Hi-Potions, forget it.

[edited by - alnite on March 19, 2004 11:14:21 PM]
Yeah it''s nice when the minigame supports the main game.
The best thing to remember when designing mini-games is that just because they are mini doesn''t mean you shouldn''t design a quality game for people to play. To many games throw in some boring pointless mini-game that seems to be more of a waste of time than fun.
I remember a little mini-game in SpaceQuest 4 (I think) where you were in a space arcade and got to play you''re favourite old game (some sort of chicken-egg bombing thing). It was silly and fun, but didn''t seem at all critical to the game itself. Stuff like that, in the right place, can often be quite amusing.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
I think FF VII has one of the best replay values because of its minigames. hell that why i played for almost a year after i beat it.... that and the golden chocobo!

they also help if they allow players to get to those more obscure parts of your game.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

When I was younger, I played Sam & Max: Hit the Road. A friend and I used to turn it on just to play the "Car bomb" game. It was like a version of Battleship.

I really like minigames when they''re in addition to the regular game. I generally find it annoying when you have to do so well in an unrelated minigame to proceed in the main game, because it''s not what I''m playing the game for. Otherwise, when used to open up extra or special features or abilities, or just as rewards thenself, I think they''re fun. The exception is obviously if they''re a main feature of your game, like Mario Party, or Fusion Frenzy.

In any case, the most important thing is that they''re simple, quick, and fun, so that I want to spend a few minutes playing them. Some of the games in FF7 for example weren''t really fun to play, and so after completing them in the main game, I never touched them again.

tj963
tj963

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement