Try out my new game

Started by
36 comments, last by AK47 19 years, 12 months ago
why did you cross post?
Advertisement
Sorry I didn't have time to try out the game before, but I have now. It's very good, but your ball looks like its stuck in the floor, and he's right it does get a little too fast too quickly. As for collision detection, it's all very well, except it's a little annoying when you slide into the ball and it hits off the side and just goes under. I love the bomb drop thing, it adds a lot more to it.

Looks like it must be XP users who experience problems, as I am running on Win 98 and have none, and you said in the original post that it *might* work on XP/ME.

quote:
Who's that game programmer? You know him, he has helped you.

Now I'm intriuged...

EDIT: Why did you send it to him in the first place? Were you looking for a publishing deal or just a little feedback?

Stay Clausal,

Red Sodium

[edited by - red_sodium on April 15, 2004 3:15:27 PM]

[edited by - red_sodium on April 15, 2004 3:19:49 PM]
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
- menus all drawn on top of each other at first
- no collision detection on the sides of the screen, so it''s unplayable
- sound loops when the ball leaves the screen
- can''t exit the game via normal means (had to ALT CTRL DEL)

These are pretty serious issues
Must be none other than the great Cipher3D...er... i mean..YannL :-D
I eat heart attacks
Same issues as foofightr. Yikes It''s not even playable.

I''ve got a GeForce 3.
"The results are interesting, if true, but they are certainly not going to help me find oil."- response of Chevron Oil VP after a scientist working for him discovered 2^216,091 - 1 was a prime number.
Menu displayed fine, but the opening "Once Upon a time" thing flashed too quickly on the screen.

However, when I start the game, I have no graphics. I can press ''Space'' and I hear the ball released, then a subsequent "Ow" sound and I''ve lost a life...

The sparse log file is:

<-> Window Class Registered
<-> DC Created
<-> Pixel Format Found.
<-> Pixel Format set.
<-> GL Rendering Context Created.
<-> GL Rendering Context Activated.
<-> Window Created.

<-> DC and RC released.
<-> Rendering Context Released.
<-> Device Context Released.
<-> g_hWindow released.
<-> Class unregistered.

However, when I ran it a second time, everything seemed fine, I could play the game.

I tested it a little more and here''s your bug:

- go to the "About" screen first before starting a game, then go back to menu and start a new game....no graphics!

If it matters I have an Athlon MP 1800 with an nVidia Ti4600.

Regards,
Jeff

[ CodeDread ]
I should mention that I am not experiencing any of the other issue that have been brought up in this thread:

- game was playable
- game allowed graceful exit via ESC key
- menus all displayed propertly, not overlapped

Regards,
Jeff

[ CodeDread ]
I DLed the version 4.3 one and it Ran perfect on my System..except when i tried to exit the game via the menu it crashed.Nice job:-)..i love those type of games im gonna play it a bit more now:-).
EDIT:
oh and when it crashed i tried running it through my Visual C++ 6.0 debugger..you know to try and help you with the bug and it just crashed my system...lol

[edited by - BES on April 16, 2004 11:00:30 AM]
Hi guys thanks for all the troubleshooting help, screenshot, advice, feedback and encouragement! Man, you dudes are the greatest.

Why the game runs fine on some computers while not on others...

My game problems are narrowing down to windows XP. I learned my windows api programming from slightly old tutorials of The Forger, Digiben and Ultimate game programming. I do not think windows XP programming should be any different from the traditional windows api programming but I will check. Any ideas?

In the meantime, in new version 4.4, I have integrated, assimilated, borgged all timeGetTime() fragments into one super QueryPerformanceCounter object, hopefully that will solve the speed, collision, menu problems. I''ve also included opengl32.dll & glu.dll in the game folder; with a bit of luck might solve the menu and game closing problems, though the game might be forced to run on software rendering mode but it is a small game.

I need to install more error log....

Mmmmm...... ;9 hope you guys will continue testing my newer versions and be patient with my mistakes.

Thanks and many regards

PS: I wanted the famous game programmer to post my game but he found mistakes and commented it.

The game stayed at the intro screen and wouldn''t budge. I renamed GLU.dll and OPENGL32.dll to something else and ran the game again. This time it made it past the intro and I observed the following:

- ball still doesn''t collide with sides of screen
- sound still loops when ball leaves screen (which is always)
- menus still initially garbled

Last but not least, exiting normally still does not work but I was able to click the system icon and go to Close. However, the app crashed soon after.

I restored GLU.dll and OPENGL32.dll and ran it again. It made it past the intro screen but the game ran in the neighborhood of 3 frames per second. Software rendering is great.

You need time-based movement.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement