Mobile phone display size refer pixel or mm?

Started by
3 comments, last by CRAZY COCONUT COW 19 years, 10 months ago
I want to draw a png image for my J2ME game. I had a look at nokia phone 6230 specs:- 27.3 mm x 27.3 mm display Supports up to 65,536 colors within 128 x 128 pixels I use two paint program(Gimp & win paint) to compare the sizes 27.3mmx27.3mm and 128x128 pixels. And the pixel size is bigger than the mm size. What size should I use to draw my png image to fit into the mobile phone? The pixel size? Is the pixel size in cell phones smaller than the ones in PCs?
MoooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Advertisement
The physical size of the display and the pixel area of the canvas are two different things. For example, look at the monitor in front of you. Notice the black band around the visible area?

Since you're using J2ME, the getWidth() and getHeight() methods of the Canvas class give you the proper size of the display. The values returned by the methods should match the documentation of whatever phone you wish to program for.
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.
Cell phones generally have very high resolution (but small screens).

Size your images in pixels.
Yeah, the "physical" size of the cellphone screen is probably not similar at all. Use pixels if necessary, that way you can ensure it's portable to the great majority of screens, even if they have different DPI ratings (affecting mm measures on a PC monitor).
Many thanks guys.
MoooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement