Define this forum

Started by
56 comments, last by hellz 19 years, 9 months ago
"Third Party Game Technology."

That's basically just a definition for middleware, but I think it'd make a good name. There are threads about game engines like Irrilict and CS still popping up in other forums, and the forum's current title might be putting people off from posting those in here (because they're not 'libraries' in the standard sense of the word).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
If I want to post a question about raknet I will post it in the networks forum, because the people who use it probably spend more time reading that than reading this one. Similarly physics and graphics and any other library specific to one section of a game. Things like Allegro, Ogre, SDL, crystal-space and Torque - general all-round game engines - I would post here.

How about "Game Engines"?
Quote:Original post by Squirm
If I want to post a question about raknet I will post it in the networks forum, because the people who use it probably spend more time reading that than reading this one. Similarly physics and graphics and any other library specific to one section of a game. Things like Allegro, Ogre, SDL, crystal-space and Torque - general all-round game engines - I would post here.

How about "Game Engines"?
You call Allegro and SDL (the libraries this forum was originally made for and is used most for) engines?
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
defining this forum lowers the rate
The funny thing is that it doesn't lower a rating, now that you got yourself suspended.

Smooth, moron.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
How about "Minor 3rd Party Libraries"? If they weren't minor libraries, they'd probably have their own individual forums now already.

-hellz
well, i don't know if "Minor 3rd Party Game Libraries" applies to sdl. the only reason more people don't actually use it is because its only 2d, and everyone loves 3d. my point ? people use sdl, but not the way those that attend this forum do. Therefore, its not minor, its just underused, a term which can be applied to several others as well. personally, i don't mind the "alternate game libraries", although it does sound a little depreciating. meh - just my thoughts.

forgive the AP designation, i've forgotten my password and my e-mail has died ("temporarily out of service" - whatever the hell that means).
just one of those days . . . .
That's true. I must admit, I don't mind the current title, either. If ever someone had a question about the title of the forum, I'm sure the description would make it clearer as to what its purpose is.

Some things just can't be summarised into small names. I think the description certainly makes up for it in this instance.

-hellz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement