Special Effects - some Books.

Started by
4 comments, last by neneboricua19 19 years, 9 months ago
Could someone give me some good names of books (i mean some advanced rendering and special effects) Tanks. (i mean DirectX books, and maybe some GUI books in Dx) [Edited by - intoxicate on July 8, 2004 11:49:29 AM]
sorry for englishwww.burzuazja-rpg.prv.pl
Advertisement
Forgot the exact ttitle, but it had special effects in it. It was written by Mason McCusky.

His Site
I eat heart attacks
Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX
by Kelly Dempski

Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX 8.0
by Mason McCuskey

There's a "Books" here at gamedev, I'll go ahead and link it here for you:
Click here.
For HLSL (and asm, too) shader reference:
The Shader X2 series, edited by Wolfgang Engel
Nvidia's GPU Gems
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by BrentBarrett
Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX
by Kelly Dempski

Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX 8.0
by Mason McCuskey

There's a "Books" here at gamedev, I'll go ahead and link it here for you:
Click here.

The McCuskey one isn't brilliant. He does a very good advanced, scriptable particle system but that is about all I took from it. He also has a horrible, compact coding style and I found it very hard to read. Ever heard of white space, Mason? That's what I say.
Quote:Original post by __Daedalus__
The McCuskey one isn't brilliant. He does a very good advanced, scriptable particle system but that is about all I took from it. He also has a horrible, compact coding style and I found it very hard to read. Ever heard of white space, Mason? That's what I say.

Personally, I liked that book very much. I guess everyone has different tastes. He explains a good number of advanced concepts very well. He also explains many tricks that game programmers use that aren't really covered in other books.

I never really used the code very much. I mainly used the book for the concepts but he has a very simple and flexible quaternion-based camera system that I still use for demos even professionally. He also covers a lot of the game logic necessary to do many of the special effects out there today; something a pure rendering book won't always go over.

I also have Real-Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques. This is another excellent book. I think these two books go very well together. You can look at Real-Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques as a book that covers all of the things that Special Effects didn't have time to go over. The two of these together will give you a wide area of knowledge in both 3D game programming as well as DirectX.

neneboricua

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement