so where do i go from here

Started by
8 comments, last by Janju 19 years, 9 months ago
ok i kinda know some windows programming and have all the basic c++ but as im finding out that was the EASY!!!! part now i just dont know what to do i mean i totaly dont get how to get graphics from a seprate file in your computer into your game and even if i did my graphics suck then after that i dont get multi texturing, skinmeshing, reflectivity, skeletal animation, buffering, collision detection, bumpmaping, mesh rendering (um yeah the list gose on)so i just dont know were to start or what programs i should use (keep in mind that my entire c++ experience has beem free (im using dev c++) so am i at the point were i need to buy something i just have so meany questions i hope some one can make sence of this
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
You are trying to take on way too much all at once. If you 'kinda know some windows programming and have all the basic c++' then I am afraid that advanced topics such as mesh skinning, skeletal animation, etc... are quite beyond your grasp. I don't say this to be mean or to discourage you or anything, but you really need to work on mastering the basics and working up.

Solidify your programming skills and work on the basic theory of how games work. Do some of the basic falling blocks or other trivial remakes of good games from days gone by to learn the fundamentals, rather than trying to dive in and make Call of Duty for your first project. That way lies failure and discouragement.

As far as purchasing tools, I don't really believe it to be necessary. I have owned copies of Visual Studio before, but I have done my largest projects using 100% free and open source tools. There is really not a whole lot you can do with commercial tools that you can't do with free tools as a newbie.

Start in the For Beginners resource section of this site to get some ideas on topics you can move on to next.
Well, raptor, Im trying to make sense of it.. So you have the basics of C++ down, but you want to proceed to graphics. To do that you would need to download an API (Which are also free I believe). You can start out maybe with OpenGL. Although I myself just began the process of learning the basics of C++. If you don't understand all of those things, I suggest looking up some tutorials or taking out a book from the library. And if it still isen't clicking, try sticking with the basics of C++ and expirement. I wouldn't know what position your in though, since I haven't reached that point. Good luck!
http://www.technation.000k.net/ = Under Construction
do you think im in over my headif im programming at all? i mean im 14 and already trying to learn c++ is that even logical?
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
any way i think after i finish the book im curently on and make a few 2d sprite based games ill get back 2 ya
Being 14 isn't a problem. I was a little bit younger than that when I started. But just don't expect to be able to do everything right from the start. You've got a lot of school and a lot of life still in front of you, in which you may learn a lot more about mathematics, logical thinking, problem solving, etc... You're still young; your brain and skills are still developing. Keep training your mind, keep practicing, and above all don't give up just because things are hard.
I am 12 years old, and I started learning about stuff like this when i was about 10. And I'm learning C++. You are never in over your head. As long as you understand whats going on, don't ever let anyone tell you that, do whatever you want and learn it whenever, or however you want. A lot of expieranced programmers are critics, so don't let them bother you.
http://www.technation.000k.net/ = Under Construction
Quote:Original post by raptorstrike
ok i kinda know some windows programming and have all the basic c++ but as im finding out that was the EASY!!!! part now i just dont know what to do i mean i totaly dont get how to get graphics from a seprate file in your computer into your game and even if i did my graphics suck then after that i dont get multi texturing, skinmeshing, reflectivity, skeletal animation, buffering, collision detection, bumpmaping, mesh rendering (um yeah the list gose on)so i just dont know were to start or what programs i should use (keep in mind that my entire c++ experience has beem free (im using dev c++) so am i at the point were i need to buy something i just have so meany questions i hope some one can make sence of this

What! I dont even know Windows Programming, i cant even write the code to open a window using the WIN32 API.

I say forget the Windows Programming and download the free redbook and get started on some graphics using OpenGL or DXSDK if you prefer Direct3D.
For me I just decide what i want to do and then find out from the ground up how to do it. The more research I do about how games work with an empthasis on the theory, the easier the rest gets. The main thing is to know that once you've understood a theory, the rest is trivial, after all, things are only hard when you don't understand them. Then once everything becomes easy you know you've achieved something :).
As far as where to start after having learn basic Win32 Programming... If I was you i'd check out these 4 books :
3D Math Primer for Graphics and Games Development,
The C++ Programming Language,
Tricks of the Windows Programming Gurus,
Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus.
That should give you the necessary skills to pretty much write your own software rasterizer from scratch(providing you can survive the reading).
Quote:Original post by raptorstrike
I don't know if this was your question, but nehe here at gamedev.net can give you a good start on some of this topics:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement