Dreaded SAT's

Started by
28 comments, last by etothex 19 years, 9 months ago
it will be next march (i think) so i will be able to take either one... and i'm opting for the old one to avoid writing and grammer =)
Advertisement
I got 1510 - 800 math, 710 verbal

my advice, unless you really need to bring up your verbal (or your vocabulary is especially weak), don't spend too much time memorizing more than a few words, it's not worth it.

My suggestion - for math, start doing as many problems as you can. The sat question of the day is good. What you are looking for is not to learn any new math, it is to see what kind of questions there are and what thought process you need. Almost all SAT math questions test logical questions that are unlike the math you took in school, so you want to know how to look for the trick to use-again, nearly all math questions can be solved by the same method of breaking the problem into logical steps and proceeding sequentially. This is why practice helps, and focus more on procedure and problem solving than the mechanics of the math.

English is harder to study for, but I would also go after sample questions. Reading comprehension, and to a lesser extent, sentence completion, is the most 'studiable' part, by practicing searching for the basic topics and meanings in sample passages.

If you've got a hankering to memorize something, I would get a list of latin/greek roots and memorize those. They will be more helpful than memorizing plain words.
Quote:Original post by Axiverse
So, what if you're aiming for 1600?

You can pull that off on your second try. Trying for a 1600 is a waste of time, but so is studying over the summer. Enjoy your summers while you have them, they go away faster than you'd expect.

CM

*edit: I suck at teh gamdev
Quote:Original post by Axiverse
Man... I'm studying during summer...

Anyone else going to be a Junior? And for everyone eles (who has taken it - and gotten a good score) any suggestions for studying?

Erm, I didn't take the SAT (I took the ACT, got a 32, and that's been good enough for every college I've ever applied to). The ACT was extremely easy, and the only things I missed points on were in the math section (I was a freshman at the time and hadn't even taken trig yet). I've been told the SAT is slightly harder (others claim it's easier, so I don't know). I didn't study at all.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

i dont have to take the sat i live in Canada :P
hehe anyways are you taking the SAT's from that early on? i thought SAT was for university application. Are you planning to give several tries during your next 4 years?
Where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), there are some people who start training for the SAT in junior high. Seriously! It is pretty stupid -- you have to waste a Saturday for a test that is only helpful to get you into college. If you go to community college and transfer to a 4-year university, you do not have to take the SAT at all. Supposedly your score reflects how well you will do in college. However amongest my friends and me, one friend and I got relatively low scores and we did much better in college than those who scored a few hundred more than us.
Quote:Original post by Tyro
i dont have to take the sat i live in Canada :P
hehe anyways are you taking the SAT's from that early on? i thought SAT was for university application. Are you planning to give several tries during your next 4 years?

If he's going to be a junior, it means he has 2 years of high school left. Enough to take it three times, with ample studying time between. The general rule(IIRC) is that if you're below 1500 or so, take it a second time. If you are below about 1300 on both, take it a third time. After that, it begins to look like you're either obsessed or that you really can't do the material on the test, both not good for you.
Quote:Original post by etothex
The general rule(IIRC) is that if you're below 1500 or so, take it a second time.

Jesus Christ...1500? That's a hair short of a perfect score. Look at the schools you want to attend, and make sure you hit their expected score. Nothing better is worth the hassle unless you don't have the grades to back it up. And if that's the case, even a 1600 won't guarantee a spot anyhow.

The SAT is quite possibly the single least important event in your entire life. It even falls below that time you stubbed your toe in the cafeteria. Keep that in mind.

CM
take it as many times as you can. i live in canada and unfortunatly we don't have the sat test, you have to get good marks.
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
I ahve to agree, take it more than once. More than twice, even. I jumped my score up a lot by doing this. Colleges (Harvard, Yale, whoever) even suggest that you take it numerous times so they can see a "true" reflection of your ability. Or at least as true as the SAT can provide, anyways.

I don't know how to help you, really, with some of the new test. You just have to know the math, but there's nothing really groundbreaking in there. Now that the x:y::a:b is gone, the vocabulary shouldn't be *as* big of an issue. You just have to get the hang of the sentence-fixing stuff, though, and the reading.

I ended up with a 1500 (730math/770verbal) on the third try, I think. Plus the PSAT before that, for which I missed the NMQST cut by one damn point.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement