Dreaded SAT's

Started by
28 comments, last by etothex 19 years, 9 months ago
Oh, and regarding the ACT - I thought it was easier because it was a better test. It doesn't seem to have the sole purpose of tricking you, as does the SAT. Even the SAT people themselves say they try hard to trick you. Well, fuck that. The ACT makes more sense, but you might want to know the format before you go in. Retaking the ACT won't make as much of a difference (I don't think). I only took it once, and would have benefitted from knowing what the test was going to be like beforehand, but I don't think it would have made that great of a difference. Got a 34, don't ask me what on the individual sections.

Um. SAT II are "fun" and "useful" tests where you can take easy tests for no discernable reason. Sure, if you're applying to Harvard, you have to have at least 3 (three) SAT II tests on your record. But not Yale, for some reason. The writing one is pathetically easy, just google for some of the old prompts. Math IC wasn't hard, either. Didn't take IIC, though.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Advertisement
I got a 1230 on mine, and I'm not taking it again because it's really not that important. I'm sure that my almost perfect GPA, my schedule made up almost entirely of AP classes, my AP exam scores, my clubs, my community service, and my attendance at Governor's School will make up for my rather average SAT score.

Don't worry too much about it, Axiverse: SAT scores are only one area that schools look at, and it's not even an important area. Any school that would deny you entry based soley on a score on a standarized test most likely isn't worth your time, anyway.
Quote:Original post by Mscgamer
I got a 1230 on mine, and I'm not taking it again because it's really not that important. I'm sure that my almost perfect GPA, my schedule made up almost entirely of AP classes, my AP exam scores, my clubs, my community service, and my attendance at Governor's School will make up for my rather average SAT score.

Don't worry too much about it, Axiverse: SAT scores are only one area that schools look at, and it's not even an important area. Any school that would deny you entry based soley on a score on a standarized test most likely isn't worth your time, anyway.

More importantly, it's not worth the money, either. I'm still waiting for a study showing that the average selective enrollment, private university yields better salaries than the average open enrollment, public university.

Oh, but wait, it's for the Experience...

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Quote:Oh, but wait, it's for the Experience...
By which they mean, of course, booze and fast women.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
I got a 1560 on mine about a year ago.

Don't take the test cold! Buy a couple of prep books and take at least one practice test every week. Time yourself and do it at your desk like you will have to when you actually take the test.

May sound like too much, but it really isn't. A good score can come in very handy, and is definitely worth the extra work. I got my score up 200 points and got accepted into an Ivy League school.

Just my two cents.

Andy
I studied a prep book *very* casually over the summer before I took the test, and I did alright on it. All it really did was tell me the format of the test, and get me a bit worried about the vocabulary. As it turns out, the math is a piece of cake, and all my points off on the reading section were for critical reading passages, not vocab. Go figure.

Now, SAT IIs.. those are a pain. (800 IIC, 700 Writing, 740 Bio)

edit: I see these have been mentioned by Avatar God.. the percentage of people here talking about first-tier Ivy colleges rivals that of my school o.0 Anyway, I took three SAT IIs, and now apparently there's no need for me to have done so? Serves me right for not doing college research, I guess.
oh man.. you had to go and mention the sats.. now i've got even more stress added on top of my current stress. i havn't even started thinking about this. is it normal to start studing the summer before junior year? i wish i had better councilors..
notepad hates you.
High SAT scores definitely help you get into upper-tier colleges. That said, there is no other good reason to study for the SAT's. I'd rather read a textbook and learn something useful.
-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
I'm aiming for a Harvard - MIT cross school =)

and I also what to get a top .5% on the PSATs so i can be a national merit finialist... or something like that...
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
Quote:Original post by etothex
The general rule(IIRC) is that if you're below 1500 or so, take it a second time.

Jesus Christ...1500? That's a hair short of a perfect score. Look at the schools you want to attend, and make sure you hit their expected score. Nothing better is worth the hassle unless you don't have the grades to back it up. And if that's the case, even a 1600 won't guarantee a spot anyhow.

The SAT is quite possibly the single least important event in your entire life. It even falls below that time you stubbed your toe in the cafeteria. Keep that in mind.

CM

The reason is because if you're any less, you're not treated differently if you take it twice. And if your first was less than that, and you do better the second time, they will nearly always ignore the first score.

So if you have two shots instead of one, take it twice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement