Coding help

Started by
24 comments, last by Rhaal 19 years, 8 months ago
I'm just learning C++ so I was just trying to think of something that wasn't pointless to practice on. So I decided to use this. I still don't understand what I need to do :S
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by KingRage
I'm just learning C++ so I was just trying to think of something that wasn't pointless to practice on. So I decided to use this. I still don't understand what I need to do :S

What you need to do as far as assigning or initializing before comparing? Sorry if I went on a tangent above and wasn't clear, but here's the breakdown. You have this line of code:
while(strPw != strRe)

Look at every single line of code above that line. There are no lines that give strRe a value. How can you know that strPw is notequal to strRe if you don't know what strRe is? I don't know what it is supposed to be or I could help you further. (Because strRe is not a very definitive name). Ponder this:

string string1;string string2;string1 = "Hey";while(string1 != string2) { /* Do stuff */ }

So we know that string1 is "Hey". You tell me. Is string2 equal to string1?

If you said "I don't know because I don't know what string2 is!" then you've got it.
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.
Quote:Original post by Lacutis
"Your way works in this instance by pure chance. It's very possible that your code could not work when compiled with a different compiler or for a different platform, or depending on whats in the memory allocated to your test variable at the time it's created."

Perhaps it would be illustrative if KingRage inserted...

cout << strRe << endl;

into his code somewhere before...

cin >> strRe;

...just to show him what he is comparing strPw to.

strRe is my saying StringReEnter (as in Re-enter your password for verification)
So say I throw in a line that says

strRe=" ";

Does that make it better?
If you're just trying to make sure your loop executes once, use the "do while" loop shown above.
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement