Great game idea, now I need the know how, whats the know how?

Started by
23 comments, last by gia257 19 years, 8 months ago
Actually i find it very difficult indeed... But i keep trying and the more i do it the easier it gets...
[href]http://neoeden.web1000.com[/href]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by crystallus_sancire
I don't know exactly what I want, it's far off int he future at this poitn, which is what I knew before posting (at the very least a year) so this is what I think I have decided to do. I don't have any books on python, but I do have a c++ book, and two java books. I am going to finish learning c++, in probably about a three weeks. I have a birthday coming up in about, 2 weeks or so, I will be 18, so then I will get visual c++, hopefully (instead of a tablet, sigh) After which, I will begin working on learning directX, through reading "introduction to computer game programming with directX 8.0" (I got this book long before I read any reviews on it)and after which, I will embark on some original games, maybe start with pong, then work my way up to a short adventure game, and THEN, hopefully, after about 6 months to a year, I will be ready to begin programming this game, my ultimate goal. Sound good?

I wouldn't try to schedule your programming. C++ can take a while. I made this mistake when I started programming. At first, I read C++ for Dummies, and I thoguht I knew enough to do anything. I then tried to learn OpenGL, didn't understand most of it, but figured I would just go along with it and understand it later. This ruined my programming efforts, and wasted about a year I spent programming. I reccomend first that you read a basic C++ book. After you have read it and understand it, try making a text-based game or some simple utilities to get some more experience with C++. After this, you might want to learn some more advanced features of C++, such as OOP, namespaces, and the STL. This is the stage I am at right now. At this point, you will probably be looking for a book like Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ series, or maybe even Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Language. Then, you will want to learn programming specific to your OS, may it be Mac, Linux, or Windows. After you know the basics of this, you can choose to use the graphics system provided by your OS, such as GDI on Windows, or you can use a seperate API, such as DirectX. Also, don't limit yourself to DirectX. Look at OpenGL as well. Read enough on each language to make a very simple program, like a spinning cube, and then pick one. i hope that helps, but that's just my opinion, based on my experiences so far.
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Best language to learn: c and c++.
But maybe you dont have to learn it, everything depends on your long term goal.

As recommendation, learn c/c++ first, no matter what. Up to classes/pointers would be enough.

After that...

If you like that language
and/or your goal is "i want to get a job at the gaming industry"
and/or "i want my games to be speedy, and i want to create more complex games than this one":
Then you should continue learning c/c++

If your long-term goal is just to create that game and c/c++ is too confusing, then id suggest Visual Basic. You dont even need DirectX for a cards game... But you should still learn c first, at least the basics!

I dont like Java, and despite i love PHP i wouldnt use it in this case. Use c, vb or one of those "game maker" programs.
Quote:Original post by giaym
... and despite i love PHP i wouldnt use it in this case.

Just for personal interest, can you state why you wouldn't?

I have to admit VB is a serious alternative, probably even better than PHP. I don't see why crystal should start with C or C++ really!?
I mean what's the point? Why learn all this stuff just to make his online card trading thing? If you have a worked out game, you should make fast progress otherwise you might drop it, and that's not good. So for this one, you should use the easiest tools (languages) to get the job done.
Quote:Original post by l3mon
Just for personal interest, can you state why you wouldn't?

Well, the main reason: i think it would involve a lot of extra work than using VB, so id use VB, not PHP.
The only reason i wouldnt use VB would be that the project was actually an "exercise" on my road to the "games industry" or whatever bigger project that wouldnt benefit from VB, in that case id use c/c++, not PHP.

I imagine a simple Online TCG having...
1. Player Vs Player
2. Player Vs Computer
3. Chat
PHP can handle the first two, it needs Java to get the third, it needs CSS to make it look good, it needs HTML as well (well not much of a problem once you learned them, but i think those are a lot of topics for a newbie)

Anyway, if you add a Java chat... well, you should stop using PHP and do the whole thing with Java.
The only good point i can see on using PHP or whatever to make the game web-based, is that users won't have to download any *.exe file, and that your game will be accessible from any browser.

Quote:Original post by l3mon
I don't see why crystal should start with C or C++ really!?
I mean what's the point? Why learn all this stuff just to make his online card trading thing? If you have a worked out game, you should make fast progress otherwise you might drop it, and that's not good. So for this one, you should use the easiest tools (languages) to get the job done.

I think that if your goal is "to program" and not something specific like "to program for databases" then you should start with c++. Once you learned the concepts you could go and change to another language if you wanted.
Thats the way i think though, maybe because i started with c++ ^^ (i had some pascal before but not that much)

What is crystal's goal, is it "to program"? or "to program games"? or "to program games up to some complexity limit"? or "to program that Online TCG and nothing else"?
I wouldnt like wasting my time using VB to program the TCG if my goal was higher (um lets pretend, programming Doom X) and the TCG was actually a step to get closer to that goal.
I think you should take the shortest way to complete your real goal without caring if it is the longest to complete a specific step or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement