Does support for notebooks suck?

Started by
22 comments, last by Tessellator 19 years, 8 months ago
8 months ago I bought my current laptop, which has a 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro. I had no problems until I bought City of Heroes; it was crashing frequently. My vendor's drivers did nothing but then I downloaded the Omega drivers, which are created for ATI cards but aren't actually made by ATI. Anyway they work very well and City of Heroes plays very well, as does Doom 3. Windows Media Player no longer works (crashes) but Media Player Classic does work.

So it's a bit of a pain but I do have a great graphics card. But strongly consider an NVidia card; their drivers are much better.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Advertisement
Unfortunately the new ATI mobile stuff is way buggy. I've had a lot of luck using the old ATI 9000/9200 mobility chip. Unfortunately it only fully supports dx8.1. The omega drivers are great.

~Wave
I'm glad to hear the recommendation of the omega drivers. I have an Ionix laptop 2.8Ghz with a Radeon Mobility 9000 graphics card. I bought it direct from Multivision here in the UK, but the firm has gone toes up. It's fine with the drivers that came with it (but the driver date is 25/07/2002 and the version is 6.13.10.6143 as per the control panel).

I need to try NV occlusion query which does not work with the drivers I have, so I'll give those omega drivers a go right now. Here's hoping...

Martin.
Anthony
Hi,

I have an inspiron 8600 with a GF FX5605 go in it. I popped along to www.laptopvideo2go.com (which is the equivelant to the omega site for nvidia cards) and got the latest(ish) 61.77 drivers to run doom3, and the game runs surprisingly well.

Laptop harddisks in general don't seem to be as quick, and thats my only gripe - loading takes a little longer, and you can occasionally get pauses in gameplay, but other than that, I've been really impressed by my laptop.

I did have an Alienware laptop once, but I sent it back as lots of things didn't work as expected (the lcd wouldn't shut off when you closed the lid, and if it did, it wouldn't come back on), plus the keyboard was damaged. I've heard lots of good things about them since though, and there are XP fixes for the problems I had.

T

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement