$30 from Amazon - What new book should i get?

Started by
3 comments, last by VisualLR 19 years, 8 months ago
I'm programming a Super Metroid-style 2D platform adventure in OpenGL and SDL in C++, preferably in a linux environment but i prefer cross-platform, non windows-centric code. I've got a $30 gift certificate from Amazon. I already own: - The C++ Programming Language (Stroustrup) - Practical C++ Programming (O'Reilly) - Effective C++ (Meyers) - Design Patterns - Game AI Programming Wisdom (1) What should i get next? I like the more "architectural" kinds of books that describe higher level patterns and such, but i welcome any new wisdom. If it was you, what would you get?
Advertisement
If it was me, I'd get a nin CD to code by. But hey, that's just me. Seems like enough books to last awhile to me.
If you like Meyers' writing style and you're looking for more C++/STL stuff, his other two books "More Effective C++" and "Effective STL" are both good reads.

EDIT: to correct my caveman like mastery of english.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - WonkaAsking Smart Questions | BookPool
His first book was okay but i felt i already knew a lot of it. That's not to say that i'm some kind of uber-master, but was just expecting a book of super-cool tricks and got more a list of general-practice guidelines.
Game Programming Gems 1,2,3 or 4. I'd go on amazon and browse through the table of contents for each and get the one that interests me the most. You can't go wrong with the gems :) IMO.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement