[.net] What do I need to use C#?

Started by
8 comments, last by Mike29936 19 years, 8 months ago
Here's the story. I had a pirated version of Windows XP, Microsoft Office, and Visual Studio.NET. Well, being a software developer myself, I have sworn off piracy. I paid for a copy of Windows XP Pro and have looked for freeware alternatives to the rest. Well, instead of getting the .NET programming package from Microsoft (the free version), I just downloaded Dev C++ because I wanted to get started programming again (after a 3 month long hiatus, stupid girl) and thought C++ is what I should be refreshing myself. Well, C++ is all well and good, but it isn't my cup of tea. I can handle it, or maybe I can't, that doesn't matter... I'm interested in using C# like I was before. Summary and whatnot: I have the .NET 1.1 framework installed and nothing else regarding .NET. What do I have to download to get all the .NET programming things I need? I know there is plenty of free Microsoft stuff (the compiler, obviously, but something about an express edition of VS?), but I don't know what to get. I don't want something that the license is going to run out in 3 months or something. Please help, thanks.
Dat is off da hizzle fo shizzle dizzle
Advertisement
Look up SharpDevelop. It's a free C# IDE that can use the .NET Framework or Mono.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Congrats on kicking that awful habit of piracy!

There are a few directions you could go here. One is to get SharpDevelop, a free IDE for C#/VB.NET, along with the .NET Framework SDK, which contains all the command line tools you need to write C# programs.

Another direction you could take is to try out the Visual C# 2005 Express Beta, which is overall pretty good (it hung on me a few times, but other than that it's excellent). The great thing about this is you'll get a sneak peak at C# 2.0 and all the cool stuff that's in the new standard (generics, for example). On the downside, it expires in March of 2005 so that's something to consider (though when the final version launches it will probably cost about as much as a new game).
I noticed something about the express edition of VS coming with .NET 2.0? That's the beta right? Is it going to interfere with my current 1.1 installation, and will I have to uninstall my current installation? I just don't wanna screw up my PC right now... too many important documents to lose (even if they are backed up, it'd take forever to restore) and with 56k it takes forever to download anything ^_^.

Thanks for the help.
It won't mess up your .NET Framework 1.1 installation.
Quote:Original post by The Orange Peanut
I noticed something about the express edition of VS coming with .NET 2.0? That's the beta right? Is it going to interfere with my current 1.1 installation, and will I have to uninstall my current installation? I just don't wanna screw up my PC right now... too many important documents to lose (even if they are backed up, it'd take forever to restore) and with 56k it takes forever to download anything ^_^.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, here's the deal:

Express edition is like the standard edition of VS right now. It's a dummed down edition, has fewer features and such. However, it's also cheaper, current guesses is around $50 for it. The features it is missing is stuff that you most likely won't use till you go pro. So it's no big loss for you. It won't interfere with your 1.1 install. And no, you don't have to uninstall, it will run along side it.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Sorry to bother again, but I have another question ^_^. It says on Microsoft's website that I should install SQL Server 2005 and MSDN Express before I install VS Express. Well, I began to download those two files, but MSDN is 166MB and SQL is 36MB! I can't practically do that on 56k. Is it really necessary to have those before I install VS Express, or are those just options that, as a C# application developer who has access to MSDN online, isn't really necessary?
If VS.NET Express doesn't tickle your fancy, I recommend the free version of Borland's C# IDE: C#Builder.

http://borland.com/products/downloads/download_csharpbuilder.html
Quote:Original post by The Orange Peanut
Sorry to bother again, but I have another question ^_^. It says on Microsoft's website that I should install SQL Server 2005 and MSDN Express before I install VS Express. Well, I began to download those two files, but MSDN is 166MB and SQL is 36MB! I can't practically do that on 56k. Is it really necessary to have those before I install VS Express, or are those just options that, as a C# application developer who has access to MSDN online, isn't really necessary?

Nope, it's not
But MSDN is VERY useful.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Well, I began to download those two files, but MSDN is 166MB and SQL is 36MB! I can't practically do that on 56k.

Before I got cable internet, I used Getright ( www.getright.com ) to download all my large files. You can pause, resume, and do other things with it. I never downloaded SQL, but you need the documentation. 166 mb should take about 3 days to download using Getright, if you can find it on Microsoft's site.

I'd be more worried about installing VS Express. They give you a short 5 mb program from the website, but that short 5 mb program downloads lots of large files, so you can't use Getright without finding where all those files are coming from.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement