where to go from here???

Started by
6 comments, last by gamezo 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I just got accepted to digipen and i head out in a week!!!, i am fairly farmiliar with C++, java, and C#... what should I try now? Some of my friends reccomend DirectX, but won't I need to learn win32 to use it??? I have no problem learning both, It's just my time to learn new things will be obliterated once i start at digipen.... any advice? thanks a lot, TetraFlare
Advertisement
First of all, congrats! I wish I knew about schools liek Digipen when I applied for college. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of credentials does it seem like they look for for admittance into the college. Do you have to turn in any kind of demos or anything?

Anyway, as for your question. I'd imagine DirectX would be a good thing to get exposed to before you start school. I don't know what kind of graphics API Digipen teaches to, but learning the concepts is the most important part. You don't have to know Win32 very in depth to get yourself started in DirectX. Most DirectX books will give you a Win32 overview and an intro to Windows GDI. You just have to learn the very basics of creating a Win32 program to get started with DirectX - how to create the main window, how to create an event loop, very bare bones stuff.

I don't know how Digipen's curriculum works, but in my opinion learning the most basic Win32 fundamentals and then concentrating on DirectX concepts would be the way to go. You're definitely going to want to get some kind of exposure with some kind of graphics API programming to take with you to school.

Good luck next semester!
__________________________We're all Dumb And Jaded
Congrats, I too am a DigiPen Student (Junior). For your personal growth learn as much as possible. As for your academic venture.....hehehe.....get used to the idea of making a text-based game for 1st semester. Dont fret though, because you would be suprised by what you can do with a little ASCII. Later on you will be writing your own graphics rendering engine, via software. When you start your second year, then you will be able to fully use OpenGL or DirectX, but that is about it. All aspects of every game you make here will be done by hand, which means if you want that killer physics engine code it yourself. If you want you can email me at cburgin@digipen.edu and I can answer any other questions you have (and I know you do, because I had a ton when I started).

CAB
first off, thanks for speedy responses, code_conspiracy, i dropped you an email =)

as for the question:

"if you don't mind me asking, what kind of credentials does it seem like they look for for admittance into the college. Do you have to turn in any kind of demos or anything?"

I dont mind, no demo nessicary... all i needed was 2 letters of reccomendations, (i think my programming and AP programming as well as physics helped me in) transcripts, SAT scores (which i did not so good on, a tad above average) and a GPA (3.4)

that was basically it, then 2 weeks later i get the pretty letter and packet saying im in!!! =)

tetraflare, I didn't even know they made game schools!!! I'm here at the university of south florida going for a comp sci degree. It's mainly just math and a few courses in c++. It must be really cool to be going to a school such as digipen! Congratulations!!!
Hi, I'm new to game development in general. so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I was wondering if there are any good schools for game development, preferably in California, that take transfer students. I already have a year in a community college, and will be finishing up this upcoming year as well. so, it would be a waste to start from scratch. Also, I'm thinking of applying to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, how's the program there in relation to games? Thanks in advance again, for any info you guys can provide.
Traditional schools are good for game dev too, I live in seattle and I chose UW over digipen because its cheaper and I felt like a bachelors from UW could be used elsewhere if I wanted to get out of game development.

Also a lot of employers are still skeptical of schools like digipen (this may change with time). As long as you learn what you need to know you'll be okay.
hey, xegoth. thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement