How to do adding/subtracting with bitwise operators

Started by
43 comments, last by MrEvil 19 years, 8 months ago
I had to take a timed email test for a game job, and one of the questions was this (I had to pass on it): write a function "int add1(int val)" that returns val+1 without using +'s or -'s anywhere in your code. Yes, you will probably need to do some bitwise operations to accomplish this. How the heck to I do that? Is there a guide to this kind of stuff somewhere?
Advertisement
what about asm?

int add1(int val){	__asm	{		mov eax,val		inc eax		ret	}}
int add1(int x){  int bits_to_change=0;  for(int bit=1;bits_to_change|=bit,x&bit;bit<<=1);  return x^bits_to_change;}

Another way:
int add1(int x){  return x&1?add1((unsigned)x>>1)<<1:x|1;}
int add1(int x) {  for(int b=1; b&&(x&b); b<<=1)    x^=b;  return x|b;}works on negatives too.
Kevin.
int add1(int val){   if (val==0) return 1;   if (val==1) return 2;   if (val==2) return 3;   if (val==3) return 4;   if (val==4) return 5;   if (val==5) return 6;   if (val==6) return 7;   if (val==7) return 8;   ...   ...   if (val==2147483646) return 2147483647;   if (val==2147483647) return -2147483648;   if (val==-2147483648) return -2147483647;   if (val==-2147483647) return -2147483646;   ...   ...   if (val==-1) return 0;} 

They don't call me l337 h4x0r for nothing.
A coworker came up with this.

int add1(int x){   return ~x * 0xFFFFFFFF;}

Thanks for the interesting problem.
How long did you have to compleate this?

Armand
Armand -------------------------It is a good day to code.
int increment( int x ){    int b = 1;    while ( ( x & b ) != 0 )    {        x ^= b;        b <<= 1;    }    x ^= b;    return x;} 

edit: just realized this is the same as Krumble's and similar to alvaro's. But Krumble's is less readable and alvaro's is un-readable and that would count against you in an interview.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Alvaro's was readable. The recursion makes it quite easy to read, easier, in fact, than an iterative solution.
Most of the ones with a for loop seem to be implementations of how basic hardware addition works.

Armand: very neat -

return ~x * -1;

as inversion gives you -(x+1), I like it but feel quite stupid for not thinking of it. After programming on ARM which has MVN (which moves the bitwise inverse of a constant into a register) I really should have. :)
-- Jonathan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement