Hi all, I have the newbiest question ever :-)

Started by
7 comments, last by Moose6912 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi all Lately my brother received a new cell phone for his birthday and I have been wanting to program something to work on it in Java since... The only thing is that I don't know any Java or how it works. I don't even know in which text program I should write it. I do know some ASP, VBScript, VB and a bit of C (hoping that all of these would help). I am hoping that someone would be able to explain a bit about Java to me and maybe give me a link to where I can study it (Java that is comptible with cell phones). Thanks to all of you in advance :).
Don''t have one, sorry.
Advertisement
java cell phone games, i believe, are programmed in J2ME.

-me
bleh, won't let me edit my post. anyway there appear to be a couple articles on this site that should also help you going in addition to the J2ME site i posted above. you can find them here:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=57

-me
Hey,

It would really help to know what type of phone it is. Some phones won't even support Java, and some have special APIs for helping you do certain things.

To get a general understanding of Java, the Java website (java.sun.com, I think) is a really good start. Unfortunately, the languages you already know won't give you quite the jumpstart that knowing, say, C++ would since Java is a bit different (I don't know about ASP, though).

Once you get a decent understanding of Java, applying it to cell-phones is a breeze.

As for the text program to write your programs in, it really all depends on preference. I like Eclipse as a full-featured IDE myself, but some people will advocate Notepad all the way.

Good luck,
--Brian
Quote:Original post by Nairb
Hey,

It would really help to know what type of phone it is. Some phones won't even support Java, and some have special APIs for helping you do certain things.

To get a general understanding of Java, the Java website (java.sun.com, I think) is a really good start. Unfortunately, the languages you already know won't give you quite the jumpstart that knowing, say, C++ would since Java is a bit different (I don't know about ASP, though).

Once you get a decent understanding of Java, applying it to cell-phones is a breeze.

As for the text program to write your programs in, it really all depends on preference. I like Eclipse as a full-featured IDE myself, but some people will advocate Notepad all the way.

Good luck,
--Brian

More important is what cell phone did your brother get?With the model number,you will know whether you can write any program to go with it.

Java can be studied in a short tutorial on the official java website: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Once you have learnt the basics of java you'll want to look into J2ME. All the resources related to j2me can be found at http://java.sun.com/ . Be sure to download the latest Wireless Toolkit (WTK).

When it comes to transfering the game to your brothers phone there are so many possible ways. If the phone has bluetooth you will need a bluetooth connection for your pc, should your phone have bluetooth this is the way i recommend doing everything. Considering a lot of phones don't have bluetooth you may use Infra-red or a usb data cable of some sort. The data cables are usually phone specific and some phone manufacturers provide them in the box with the phone, others must be bought seperately.

Enjoy j2me.
Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.Chinese Proverb
Hi all
First, I would like to thank you for your help.
Now, the model that he got was Philips 530, which supports Infra-Red only (no Blue-tooth or USB connection). Since I don't have Infra-Red connection on my computer I wanted to transfer the data through the phone-net (hoping that's possible :) ). Anyway, if any one has more info conserning the model type and all please tell me, ok? Thanks again :)
P.S: One more thing that I wanted to ask. Can I write apps for the cell phone in &#106avascript or just in Java? I mean, if I create an HTML page which uses Java only on the entire page, will the cell phone run it?

[Edited by - LinkOfTime on August 28, 2004 5:10:22 AM]
Don''t have one, sorry.
&#106avascript is not java.

&#106avascript was made by Netscape and was origionally called livescript. (first used in netscape navigator 2.0).<br><br>netscape decided that it was good to change the name livescript to &#106avascript, becasue of the hype over java and so that some of java's glitter might rub of &#111;nto &#106avascript.<br><br>Just living up to my username,<br>From <b>nice</b> coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Original post by LinkOfTime
Hi all
First, I would like to thank you for your help.
Now, the model that he got was Philips 530, which supports Infra-Red only (no Blue-tooth or USB connection).

Get a IR data cable.1 end plugs into your USB port.The other end is the IR head itself.So you can just transfer the files over using this IR data cable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement