[java] Platform game (updated)

Started by
14 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 7 months ago
I've updated my platform game: webstart Fixed the sounds (hopefully) Added option to change the game control Added game menu Still in prototype, no enemy yet :( Also please try my new and complete game: snake game webstart Tell me what you think
-------------Golden T Game Engine - Java Game EngineGolden T Website | Golden T Forum
Advertisement
I thought both games were excellent! The platformer reminded a little of Mega Man, which is one of my all time favorite platform games.

I just started learning java (although, I've written a blackjack game, and a pong clone using C). About how long did it take you to write the platformer? I'm curious because after I finish my current project (asteroids), I plan on make a game similar to yours.

- heap

Oh, and keep up the great work!!
i like. it's one of those "so good i want to grade like a commerical endeavor" projects. i would simplify the controls, even after custom setup i found them confusing, but other than that it's awesome. ratings++
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
Thanks... and is there no bugs anybody?
heap, how about trying my game engine if you like to make similar game like mine ;)
-------------Golden T Game Engine - Java Game EngineGolden T Website | Golden T Forum
well..
Game Exception on RoboticsWar v0.4
----------------------------------
java.lang.InternalError: Could not get display mode

at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getCurrentDisplayMode(Native Method)

at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getDisplayMode(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.gamedev.engine.input.AWTInput.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.gamedev.Game.initEngine(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.roboticswar.RoboticsWarGame.initEngine(RoboticsWarGame.java:95)

at com.golden.roboticswar.RoboticsWarGame$3.initEngine(RoboticsWarGame.java:146)

at com.golden.gamedev.Game.initialize(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.gamedev.GameEngine.startGameLoop(Unknown Source)

at com.golden.roboticswar.RoboticsWarGame.startGameLoop(RoboticsWarGame.java:170)

at com.golden.gamedev.b.run(Unknown Source)

Game Environment
----------------
Date/Time : vr, 17-09-2004 at 18:50
Java Version : 1.4.2_04-b05 Sun Microsystems Inc.
GTGE Version : 0.2.0
Environment : Windowed with BufferStrategy
Operating System : Windows 98 4.10
8! bits.. wow..
Quote:Original post by role
how about trying my game engine if you like to make similar game like mine ;)

I checked out your web site, and it looks like the engine is free to dowload. The main advantage that I see to java is portability, and I always wanted to write a game that could run on almost any system. Are there any licensing restrictions on using your engine (does it cost anything to use it?)
Quote:Original post by role
Thanks... and is there no bugs anybody?
heap, how about trying my game engine if you like to make similar game like mine ;)

That'd be cool, but I'd rather take the time to write my own.
Whoops what's that? Could not get display mode error...
I'll check it out, thanks for the report tjoink

Nope, it's totally free wyrzy, and there's no restriction to use the engine, you can use it freely.

Why don't you take a moment to check the engine heap.
Tell me what you think

Thanks everyone
tjoink, I've fixed the error (hopefully), just catching any error in there and do nothing :)
Cool game(I only played the robotics war), I think my biggest critique qould be the jets. They just seem....too slow? I guess. I'd make them maybe more powerful, and just have less fuel. Or make the fuel take longer to re-charge.

Just seems like I was waiting an eternity to move up 3 pixels.

Other than that, really good. Fluid movements. No slowdown. Nice music and menu.
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement