Where can I get the DirectX 8.1 SDK?

Started by
6 comments, last by MichaelT 19 years, 7 months ago
It looks like microsoft has pulled it off their site currently....hopefully not permenantly. I have the DirectX 9 SDK installed already, but I just formatted my pc and now the game I'm working on doesn't run quite properly anymore. I was using directx 8.1 so I'm guessing it's running goofy because I don't have the 8.1 SDK installed. I've searched on google, but all the sites I find point back to the microsoft site saying that it's currently not available. Anybody know where I can download it? Thanks in advance
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Advertisement
I don't know of any sites, but your code should all work fine with DirectX9 so long as you include the dxguid.lib file in your project. The dxguid.lib file is what enables backwards compatibilty. Also, if you have any library files attatched to your project that are from DirectX 8.1, you might consider deleting them and adding the DirectX 9 equivalent. For example, if you have d3d8.lib in your project, delete it and add d3d9.lib instead.
If all that didn't help I dug up a little more.

Well, it's not the download(none of the libraries or files) but the documentation is still up on Microsoft's website.
Click here.

Also, I can't speak for the quality or legitimacy of it, but it appears you can download the 8.1 SDK from here:
Click me.
Quote:Original post by deadlydog
It looks like microsoft has pulled it off their site currently....hopefully not permenantly. I have the DirectX 9 SDK installed already, but I just formatted my pc and now the game I'm working on doesn't run quite properly anymore. I was using directx 8.1 so I'm guessing it's running goofy because I don't have the 8.1 SDK installed. I've searched on google, but all the sites I find point back to the microsoft site saying that it's currently not available. Anybody know where I can download it? Thanks in advance

It is permanent as with all older versions (with the exception of DirectDraw). I found all previous versions of directx using google though. Btw MS archives should have some versions for a while.
No no no no! :)
You can find it on my ISP's file server:
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/microsoft/directx/directx8/dx81_sdk.exe

Oh I forgot, when working with older versions of DirectX even though older versions *are* supported in DirectX there is no guarantee that the drivers for the card are. Just a word of advice. You need to test against drivers unfortunately. As a general rule, the older the DirectX version the more likely things will break.
I still play some DX3 games and I've never had an issue.
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Quote:Original post by DrunkenHyena
I still play some DX3 games and I've never had an issue.

I have a few that have issues.

Force Commander - Breaking pointer (most notable), Graphics broken
HeavyGear 2 - Breaking pretty much everything and in various degrees between drivers.
Space Hulk (dx3) - Breaking graphics.

there are a few more but I can't remember which since I haven't played them for a while

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement