DirectX9 GUI test

Started by
34 comments, last by MichaelT 19 years, 7 months ago
Ok got it to work with software vertex proc with my card. Very nice indeed. good work :)
Advertisement
I get the following error on launch:

CreateTexture3: D3DERROR_INVALIDCALL

I have an ATI Fire GL E1 Video Card.

Any ideas?
Benny : I think the bug is the same as be4.
It mush have to do with the, Width vs. Height on the texture.

I made a few changes to counter this; You can no longer resize a window, to make it larger than the main screen, you can no longer resize it out of the main window.
This is just as the Windows Desktop works, I know its a shortcut, but if you think about it, why make that large windows anyways for a game UI ;)
I hope this fixes the bug.

enigma1 : When you can get it to work with Software VP, its properly due to your card not surpporting something.
What is not surpported, is a bit hard for me to find out.

I put in a few more checks for the D3D calls, to see if the bug could be tracked.

strahan : this error pops, when CreateTexture is called with : D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC, AdapterFormat, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
That meens, that your card dose not surpport the selected AdapterFormat along with the rest of the selected properties, in the start dialog.
Try starting the appliaction in Fullscreen mode.

New .dll :

http://www.microtower.com/temp/dmx9.zip
I could send you the DX Caps log of my card for this if you want.

I also tried the updated dll I get an exception when I run it with VS6 (Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Device cannot perform hardware processing. ValidateCreateDevice failed.)

From straight XP it just quits. That is with H/W VP; with S/W VP works.

If you make an exe/dll that includes debug info I could tell you more through the VS6 profile. I used the dx9 max/debug runtime libs. I have DX9b on this machine
Quote:Original post by Mythar
Benny : I think the bug is the same as be4.
It mush have to do with the, Width vs. Height on the texture.

I made a few changes to counter this; You can no longer resize a window, to make it larger than the main screen, you can no longer resize it out of the main window.
This is just as the Windows Desktop works, I know its a shortcut, but if you think about it, why make that large windows anyways for a game UI ;)
I hope this fixes the bug.

enigma1 : When you can get it to work with Software VP, its properly due to your card not surpporting something.

I put in a few more checks for the D3D calls, to see if the bug could be tracked.

strahan : this error pops, when CreateTexture is called with : D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC, AdapterFormat, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
That meens, that your card dose not surpport the selected AdapterFormat along with the rest of the selected properties, in the start dialog.
Try starting the appliaction in Fullscreen mode.

New .dll :

http://www.microtower.com/temp/dmx9.zip

Yep, fixed the problem.

- Benny -
-Benny-
Quote:Original post by Mythar

Caps are not always telling the truth either. This is something that is *claimed* to be fixed in Longhorn (from what I've heard) because driver writers sometimes *lie* about the cards abilities and fall back on software in those cases. Then strange things can happen, not to mention the sudden performance drop. It could also be a driver bug, it is really hard to tell.

In any case, your sample works great on my Radeon 9700 Pro. The only quirk was when I scaled the box to it's absolute minimum and released the mousebutton, then I could not scale back, it seemed stuck somehow. Clicking and dragging the left border solved it though, then I could scale again.

[EDIT]

Forget it, it was just hard to find the right position, it is too narrow it seems.

Good work.
No no no no! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement