Brightness of Screen

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 7 months ago
You should be able to do all three, brightness, contrast and gamma by messing with gamma settings.

On an older system I've programmed for the gamma settings were done in 3 8bit lookup tables (one for each of reg, green and blue). Brightness is shifting the values in the table up or down (and clamping at the ends), Contrast is stretching the range (and clamping at the ends). Gamma is changing the numbers themselves.

It looks like things work similarily in DirectX (just with abstraction). If there's something like the OpenGL's ARB_imaging extension in DirectX, you could probably use that too.
-- Jonathan
Advertisement

This is the same thing as the famous rocket jump. The game allows me to do so, so I do it. As I see it, this is not cheating because you can do the same thing as me. If you don't want to do it (because the game is more eye candy or whatever), then this is not my problem. I will win. On a sidenote, if you do not want to do it, then you really understand what is the essence of a game, and I don't. So let me cheat, I'm still the looser :)

haha. well it makes hiding in dark corners very hard! I only found this out when I walked around the office one day and noticed a load of people 'cheating' like that. My point is that I know we can't stop people doing that, but I'd at least like to prevent them from changing the exposure of the game itself so that they can see players more easily!

That's tantamount to them putting a filter over the screen which picks out other players in bright pink or something. It's not strictly cheating, but you know that if you provided such an option, loads of people would be using it to get an advantage. So I'd say, if you're not going to provide the 'pink filter of discovery' then don't let people screw with the exposure.

Well actually I think most people don't do the brightness thing (I know back in the day that it was also a big thing in Quake) so it doesn't bother me too much. It's just that allowing the player to radically alter the experience the developer has spent years working on seems a bit odd to me. Well... What can you do about monitor controls... not much I guess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement