game institute question

Started by
14 comments, last by USArmyMortars 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by mrtie_dye
Assuming that you can learn everything gameinstitute.com teaches you, is the degree or certificate they give you worth anything in the industry?

Probably not.

I say this as someone in "the industry" that is not in charge of hiring, so take it with however many grains of salt you prefer.
Advertisement
I would of thought if you can end up with the skillset to create some extremly good demos/games then you have a shot.
Quote:Original post by bobstevens
If you need to pay someone to teach you the kinds of things they're teaching, the game industry will probably have no interest in you.

I guess the games industy is in trouble then with all those students paying to do games degrees.

It's not the industry that's in trouble... it'd be the people paying for the games degrees.

It's a safe bet that the people that get hired with a game degree could get hired with a normal computer science degree instead. They might even have an easier time with a comp sci degree. But good hires are good hires no matter what school they went to.
Unfortunately many have become victim to the memorization factor. People who learn online almost ALWAYS learn from memorization and don't actually know how things work(including me) This is why I would reccomend going to one of either digipen or fullsail(even though i've never been to either) One thing I heard though is that fullsail is more geared towards computer graphics such as learning to create 3d models / ect. I would go there but its FAR out of my lower middle class budget so I'll settle for memorization until I can afford it :) But I am going to a community college which I suppose is a good start.
Good luck,
Cory
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You cannot pass!|Smeagol: We don't need you!|Sloth: Hey you guys!|
I had enrolled yesterday, and so far it's been well worth the money. The only problem is getting to chat when an instructor is on... the only come on extremely late at night, or extremely early in the morning on mondays and tuesdays... but so far, so good
HHC 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment1st Brigade (SBCT), 25th Infantry DivisionRest In Peace SSG Julian Melo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement