Using DirectX in Applications other than Games?

Started by
6 comments, last by MasoodAlam 19 years, 7 months ago
Is it a good idea to use DirectX in application that r not games for 3D programming. Like what if i make a small 3D application using DirectX as an ActiveX Control and host it on my webpage (is it possible anyway)...
Advertisement
- Depends on what you want to do. In general, there's no problem in doing a 3D application with D3D

- Yes, you can make an ActiveX control with a Direct3D renderer. However, people usually don't download ActiveX controls, even when they're signed.

Wild Tangent is a web-based product for making games - I don't remember if they do 3D, but if I'm not mistaken it does use DirectX.

It's definetly possible, you just have to implement the correct COM interfaces for a web/browser/IE-hosted ActiveX control.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Ok...that's Good.

Now if i have made an ActiveX Control using DirectX 9.0 SDK then is it necessary for the user (that will download the control) to have DirectX 9 installed on the system (for the control to run)? I mean it looks like if the control is made using current version of the DirectX (may be that's not on the user's machine)then the user will not be able to run the control???
If they are using DX as the core graphics functions for the next Microsoft OS... I dont know why you can't do just anything...

I remember creating an ActiveX 3D control for a simple visualization back in the days of Direct3D Retained Mode. It worked fine...

Luck!
Guimo
Quote:Original post by MasoodAlam
Now if i have made an ActiveX Control using DirectX 9.0 SDK then is it necessary for the user (that will download the control) to have DirectX 9 installed on the system (for the control to run)?
Yes. Well, they need DirectX 9.0, in any case - you didn't specify which subversion.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I'm writing a medical application that used DirectX as the user interface.
Quote:Original post by superpig
Yes. Well, they need DirectX 9.0, in any case - you didn't specify which subversion.

Like DirectX 9.0b...
Actually my point was if we use DirectX SDK for the development (any version) then DirectX Runtime of same version (or above) will be needed to run the application? (and i think that's the case, it is needed).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement