Anything besides XMMS?

Started by
28 comments, last by DarkHamster 19 years, 6 months ago
Quote:
As opposed to looking at the last three characters of the name? =)

Look at what you just wrote. You just said why it's bad--you're encoding type information in the file's name.
Advertisement
File extensions are useful for people though
Quote:
File extensions are useful for people though

Taking the type information of a file out of the file name doesn't mean you won't be able to see it. Take the size of a file, in most file managers you can set it so that it's displayed underneath the name. Infact, many file managers already allow you to see what type a file is without looking at the extension by using different icons for different types of files.
Quote:Original post by bytecoder
Taking the type information of a file out of the file name doesn't mean you won't be able to see it. Take the size of a file, in most file managers you can set it so that it's displayed underneath the name. Infact, many file managers already allow you to see what type a file is without looking at the extension by using different icons for different types of files.

My "file manager" doesn't do that though (it's called bash, btw ;-))
MPlayer =)
As a little aside, what players are there that I can use to listen to streaming radio off the internet? I've tried to compile Amarok, but wasn't succesfull (I'm a linux-noob, and I'm at a university computer, so I can't just install everything (however, I do have 'root' access)).
XMMS plays mp3 streams...
winograd: okay, and where can I find these streams? I'm used to just clicking on radio tuner in media player [embarrass]
meh. I really dislike xmms. It takes forever to load a song (that's assuming it doesn't stop responding in the process). I've never had to use ps -A and kill as much as when I use xmms. I like kaboodle, but it's really ugly.
Quote:Original post by bytecoder
If you use gnome, I recommend rhythmbox. I guess you could describe it as more of an iTunes clone than a winamp clone, but it's still pretty nice.

Definitely seconded, RhythmBox is truly an awesome piece of code. Makes it simple to browse your library (by genre, artist and/or album), and has a very uncluttered interface. Totally rocking.

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement