[web] Help making good forum software

Started by
11 comments, last by Extrarius 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Quote:Original post by seanw
[...]They might not be 100% identical to your requirements list, but you can either modify them or just live with it, knowing you've saved thousands of man hours.
The big thing is the anonymity requirements, which would require reworking the entire forum system to hide the user's name and ID everywhere, which would take a lot of work. I'm fairly certain it would take longer to rewrite a foreign system that doesn't use my styles etc than to just create one that has everything I want.

That's not much of a problem. On my vB board it would take me ... mebbe half an hour to modify our templates so that only Moderators and Administrators could see usernames.
[Slime] I saw a headline on the newspaper today: "Horrific Rape in Alley", or something.[Slime] I was like "Is there any other kind of rape?"[Slime] "HILARIOUS RAPE AS CLOWN SODOMIZED"
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Katta
That's not much of a problem. On my vB board it would take me ... mebbe half an hour to modify our templates so that only Moderators and Administrators could see usernames.

I still think the OP should shop around a little and look at how much effort it would take to modify existing software. Seriously, it'll be fun writing you're own for a couple of weeks at the most, and then you'll just get bored and not finish it. It'll take you months of work to get a feature-laden forum going and it'll just look like most other forum software out there anyway. You know how long it took for gamedev to get it's new forums and you're plannig on having more features than that...
Quote:Original post by Katta
[...]That's not much of a problem. On my vB board it would take me ... mebbe half an hour to modify our templates so that only Moderators and Administrators could see usernames.
But when you PM somebody, I'm betting the url is something like .../pm.asp?ID=X, so you can still see who is who by tracking the IDs in the PM url. I'm also betting the PM system doesn't work the way I want, with pm 'threads' starting from a forum post and that kinda thing.

Also, I don't think it'll be fun, reguardless of how I acomplish the task. It is just a big social experiment of sorts, and the use of the forum is what will be interesting, not the work nor the final forum software itself.

Really, I'm working on ~20 projects at once right now, and I switch between them when one gets boring, so it WILL take me a long time to get this done, but using premade forum software really wouldn't make it any faster because I hate disecting huge libraries/preexisting software more than I do coding my own.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement