Starting a game project----

Started by
16 comments, last by FireNet 19 years, 7 months ago
Okay, I read in the help wanted forum all the time "I am a newb starting a game, with no experience or anything else... I want to start a project." And then it's usually an mmorpg or something. Well, I personally am a newb at programming, I know only about half of c++, and loads of website programming, but that's about the extent of it. I do a ton of art, and I have been a leader of many projects, that were succesful. (These projects by the way are not related to games.) I have also been apart of designing a game beofre, I was a concept artist. Okay, with that said, I am really wanting to work on my own game. I don't want to post in the help wanted forum without being prepared, but programming is completely foreign to me, and I don't have the resources to get farther in learnnig it (mainly visual c++.) So, my question is, would people join a game, if I had a near completed design doc, on a website, with a lot of art and music for it? Like, if I posted on the help wanted forum saying I needed programmers, and artists, with the finished resources that I just mentioned, or should I just accept the fact that programming will always be out of my reach (mentally) and that if I can't program, I can't head up a game?
Advertisement
You are under the assumption that you need to know programming to be involved with the game. If you had a design doc, art, and a good story im sure someone would help you out with programming.

I dont know though..
gib.son
There are some excellent free tutorials on the internet (try gamedev first, and then google). Is finding the material holding you back?
Not everyone is cut out for programming. That's fine. You CAN lead, and complete, a game project without being a programmer, if you in general are a good project manager.

That being said, it's probably easier to get people excited, if there is already something that runs and can be poked at. It's been my experience that finding motivated, good artists is actually harder than finding motivated, good programmers, so you're off to a great start -- but you need something demo-able. A prototype, perhaps, using one of the available prototyping engines. Or just two or three textured, skinned, animated models that you can see walk in the DirectX mesh previewer, or the Torque engine previewer, or whatever technology you can easily create content for.

Put that, freely downloadable, together with your concept art, first half of the story, and general merits on your web site, and then go looking for people. Start out saying "I need one programmer who can help me get these characters loading and walking in an environment I design, rather than this previewer" and then take it from there.

You have to be open. You have to be motivated. You have to realize that leading takes effort and time. You have to bring something concrete, besides leadership, to the project. You have to be selective about group members. You have to have luck. Doing all of this, you may finish your game!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
If your only resource lack is Visual Studio, there are plenty of free alternatives out there. BloodShed's Dev-C++ is probably the most similar to Visual Studio that you will be able to find. It is also easy to download a copy of the DirectX SDK that works with the non-Microsoft compiler used by Dev-C++ (trying to mix Visual Studio style libraries with a non-Microsoft compiler can be a nightmare).
the reason I am not learning programming is not all due to lack of resources, I find I dread working with it, it's a nightmare for me, my mind fights me on every bit of it, in short, I am an artist, not a programmer.

Thanks for the help, but I don't want to work on a 3d game, I was wanting to make an online trading card game, most likely pixelated, any suggestions on how to make some kind of demo with that? I know a few programmers from games I have worked on... maybe they would be willing to make a short demo or something, or better yet, maybe they would help me program my game.
Well you said you've done website programming right?

Just make a html doc thats got like your basic setup of how the screen is going to be, that's got like 1 or 2 links to another page, and then links from those, so maybe 5 html pages should be enough to explain exactly what kind of set up you want, and it's decently interactive.

Probably better off just posting some of your best graphics and explaining that you have need for a programmer and what you intend to make the game like, as you said a web trading game, so the programmer would have to know networking, and explain the interactivity of your project....

Im not sure if you want an online trading card game like neopets, which can be done in html and php, or a internet game made in flash or director, or a real game, that uses networking to link users to, explain things like that.
I am really not sure what I will need, I know I want it to be a lot mor in depth than neopets, I want it to be an actual trading card game, where you can buy a starter deck, challenge other players online in an arena of your choice (it will play like a turn based strategy rpg) and then as you win (and loose) you gain Crystallus, which is the currency, to buy new booster decks, and new cards. So I guess I will need a programmer good with networking, unless you think flash will work.
HEY!!!

I didnt read the thread, but I am also interested in making a trading card game (about since Magic: The Gathering became not anymore affordable).

Please drop me a mail, or I will contact you later.

Ha, we registered here at the same day :)

Thermo/Konfu.
flash is good for web stuff and all, and all you need to implement network interactivity into it is one of two things

knowledge of php, and having a php server somewhere, and knowing how to use the getVar() function <-- This might work as it is a turn based game as you say, so have timed instances where it searches for what the other player has done, much similar as a chatroom

A flash server, that is built for networking in flash, much similar to the one nitto uses, there are plenty of them, though I forget their names, but they all cost around $30 and up I think. <-- Never used so I dont know

Either one of these things should do the trick for a turn based trading card game, if you intend to make it with flash

I think theres also some flash port thing that has something to do with java, I don't have a clue about it though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement