.lib files

Started by
5 comments, last by Rebooted 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I'm making a game engine . . . and Im stuck in a place, how do you make a .lib and a .dll file work? (download Irrlicht: irrlicht.sourceforge.net to know what i mean) I'd appreciate any kind of help. Cheers, Zubair [Edited by - databandit on September 27, 2004 11:54:41 AM]
Amps
Advertisement
Hi databandit,

can you give us more information ? what compiler do you use (and what version) ? what are you compilation settings and so on...

(another answer: can you say 'let this dll work' ? Apparently, you succedeed to create light this way :D)

Regards,
im using MS VC 6.0 and the engine is based on OpenGL
Amps
Then, if you want to create a DLL you have to choose to create "Win32 dynamic library" project. This will generate the correct DSP file. When you will link your .obj files together, the linker will output a .dll file, a .lib file and a .exp file.

If you want to create a static library, then you'll have to select the "Win32 static library" project - AFAIK you won't be able to do that if you have a student version of VC6.

Regards,
sorry . . . that was not my question . . . .it was how do you use functions from a .lib and .dll files?

i know how to make them

sorry for the confusion
Amps
To use them link the the static lib that comes with the engine and put the engine's dll(s) in the directory of your program. You'll be able to call the functions like any other using this method of linking.

Using DLLs only gets more difficult when you explicatly load them using LoadLibrary().

In .NET go to Project -> Properties -> Librarian and enter the name of the .lib you want to link to. I can't remember exactly how to do it in VC 6.0. You will also need to set the compilers directories up so it looks for static libraries in Irrlicht's lib folder.
That was me. The way the forum posts your reply if you accidentally hit enter before you can type your user name and password is starting to really annoy me. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement