Final Fantasy-ish spiral effect

Started by
12 comments, last by TheBluMage 19 years, 7 months ago
Hey there,

Havent played those games before, but those screen shots look impressive enough to tempt me!

Anyway, to the point, The method they seem to use is exactly what was described, if you look at the images, you will notice the blur is not constant, unlike a motion blur in photoshop for example, it appears 'stepped'; the reason for this is that they are storing succsessive frames and blending them together, i belive using the accumulation buffer, not having implemented such effects before.

There are a few tutorials on such things, there is one on nehe as i recall.

Twitter: [twitter]CaffinePwrdAl[/twitter]

Advertisement
Looks like good old 2d effect, like TheEgg egg in gimp:
in loop:
you have some image buffer. Blend it onto itself with some distortion(s) such as zoom or rotation, blend "base image" onto it. As base image you can use rendered scene. Simple, and nice. If you do bilinear interpolation, there's blur.

HW accelerated version:
in loop: copy screen to texture, blend texture onto screen(with some distortion), blend base image onto screen(maybe with distortion (may use different distortion)). Don't clear screen.

really, what, no one there ever heard about it?
And if you want some blur, when rendering to the texture make sure the texture is low-res
Thank you all for your input, I got some good ideas. Being fairly new to 3D programming, I'll have to take my time putting your suggestions into practice, but as soon as I'm done I'll be sure to post my results. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement