Horror Game

Started by
14 comments, last by umbrae 19 years, 6 months ago
Sweet. I have been doing the same thing you are. I actually have a horror game designed that I had to make for an exit project (career being game design). It seems typical, but you play a reverend who descends to hell as a mortal to chase down the demon who stole his son's soul. He has to pass through the levels of Hell (lust, greed, betrayal, etc.) by commiting or in some way recreating that sin.

As I said, maybe it's typical, but it was obviously original enough for me to pass my exit project :)

The game I think the above post was talking about was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. The game that I designed uses some of those elements, i.e. the sanity meter. In my game, there's a "faith" meter that affects how he reacts to certain situations or creatures (if he has low faith, he is more likely to be scared and thus a number of things happen, such as inverted controls).

Tell me what you think, because It seems we have similar drives in the fact that we both want something unique in terms of horror.

> neomega_9@hotmail.com
Advertisement
I'll edit this for content later, just wanted to say that game Thesolitas mentioned was Eternal Darkness for the GameCube, my friend's currently trying to beat it (on my system!). Well...trying to beat it for the third time.
Things change.
Quote:
I can't remember the name of the game right now, but it was a PS2 thriller.

It tried to scared you by bringing the game into RL, and trying to mess with you. A couple of examples of what it did:

- Suddenly turn off your screen
- Tell you your controller stopped working
- Reverse directions on your controller
- Give you a warning saying you just lost all your save games

Sounds like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for GC. It makes amazing usage of the above to confuse and disorient the player, not the character. There's nothing like walking into an upside-down room or having your head fall off to fully make you question what's real.

PS: Not everything was bad either...sometimes you would enter a room and have it be full of ammo (only to have it disappear later)... or my personal favorite...your head falls off, you pick it up and start quoting Hamlet. Ahh, good times.

EDIT: Wow did I not read the few posts above mine.
could do a ghostly style one, eg lots of glowing particle effects, eg misty breath , screams etc.

and u just got to solve some main puzzle without gettijn 2 scared

Apparently none of you have yet played Doom 3. Dear God. Play it at night with the music turned up... argh. I have to play as a save-whore or I lose it. It exemplifies the whats-around-the-corner thing. And when the screen turns red and weird shit happens, it's freaky. Not to mention when the disembodied footsteps lead you around in a weird voice saying 'they took my baby' or when people cry for help and then become possesed. Not to mention the effectiveness of placing lots of armor and health in the middle of a room. You just KNOW something is going to happen... why not just avoid it...? but I need the health... And the game is actually black. You can't mess with gamma.

Anyways, if you want some ideas, play the game on a good machine (its not very good if its low-res, low-texture, etc).

But its definitely a genre of game that hasn't been too maintstream and is worth exploring.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Has anyone here played Undying?

I found if very scary at the start, but then it just got stupid.

One of the biggest scare build ups was one of the weapons. I really tried not to use it, but you have to in one part. The weapon looks a bit like a snake, and every now and then (about 2 minutes) is snorts and white smoke comes out of it's nose. This is the most unnerving thing ever being an ubrupt sound in a normally quiet game, and the interval is just right because you forget about it and continue on exploring a very scary environment.

Also for the first part of the game you only have a revolver, it is easy to shoot wildly and not hit anything - then you have to reload and run away from whatever is attacking you.

Another thing about this game is that you have an ability called sight - which allows you to see things in the 'ethereal'. In this way you can walk into a room that looks prefectly normal - use sight and the room is amass with disturbing imagery. This makes you hesitant to use sight.

Also I have seen another game where you have an insane meter. Basically the more insane you are the more weird things happen in the game. As you walk by statues their heads turn to look at you. Walls bleed out of the corner of your eyes but if you look directly at them nothing happens. In one room there is a bath, and if you look in it - for a second - there is a picture of it full of blood and a corpse it in. Other times you will walk into a room and there will be a bunch of really freaky looking things - all sewn up. Then everything will go white and you will walk into the room again normally. Also you will walk into a room and start getting bigger and bigger until you touch the ceiling then it will start over, and you will walk into the normal room again.

Other times when reloading your flintlocks (in the past) you will shoot your head off - then it will go back to normal.

You can enchant a dagger and each time you attack with it, dark voices can be heard.

These are a few of the scary things I have found in games.

[Edited by - umbrae on October 8, 2004 9:38:15 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement