Problem getting SDL to work with Dev-C++

Started by
6 comments, last by Rowen 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi every1 I'm new to SDL and need some help... I want to get started with SDL, but I can't get it to work There's what I got: - Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 From www.libsdl.org I clicked on "SDL 1.2" and under runtime libraries I downloaded: - SDL-1.2.7-win32.zip ...and under developpement libraries I picked: - SDL-devel-1.2.7-VC6.zip and... - SDL-devel-1.2.7-mingw32.tar.gz (only VC6.zip has library and include files) I copyed all files in both library and include from SDL to the folders of Dev-C++ Then I started a new project and went to "Project Options" and under "Parametres" in the "Linker" box I wrote: -lmingw32 -mwindows -lSDLmain -lSDL remember I have version 4.9.9.0 (the letter in th beginning is an l as in light or lame) I wrote: Code: #include <iostream> #include <stdlib.h> #include <SDL/SDL.h> using namespace std; int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { system("PAUSE"); return 0; } I tried to compile but it outputs errors: SDL/SDL.h: No such file or library [Build Error] [main.o] Error 1 I followed these instructions: http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/i...ls/gfxsdl/index Still it doesn't work plz help!!!
Advertisement
Did you d/l the Dev-Cpp SDL package? Go to tools->Package Manager.
The link to your instructions is broken.

And you're probably missing a -I/path/to/headers
Don't use VC's files, different compilers don't seem to play well with each others' files. Use only the mingw compiler include files, and make sure you put an SDL.dll into your bin folder of Dev-C++.

Keep asking questions, you'll keep getting answers.
Things change.
You need to make sure the SDL headers are in the include path. Go to project options and directories. Hit the include tab and hit add, go to your SDL directory and select the include one. and add it. Now just say #include <SDL.h> and it should work.
I believe SDL installs to the base include dirt -

#include <SDL.h>
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
Ty very much!

I'll try some of those things :)
Nope...
Doesn't work:

In the dl SDL-devel-1.2.7-mingw32.tar.gz I tried to add the SDL.dll file to "include", but it doesn't work becase I can't select the seperate file (SDL.dll) and add it.

I can only select the folder where both includes and libs are in.

So under "Project Options" - "Directories" - "Library Directory"
I wrote: C:\SDL\Mingw32\SDL-1.2.7-win32
And under "Include Directories" I wrote the same (because of the problem mentioned above)...

I copied SDL.dll into includes in my Dev-C++ folder and
SDL-devel-1.2.7-mingw32.tar.gz under libs...

Get the same errors

PS: No I haven't got that package you mentioned

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement