Organic Quality.

Started by
25 comments, last by Ketchaval 23 years, 5 months ago
It may be a bit before games look like that im afraid. It all depends on what you class as good. Sure thats great for cutscenes but not really practicle for in game rendering. Final fantasy was nice because it combined technology well. 3d characters on a rendered backdrop is a really good idea because it is soo much faster to display so you can pump more data into your characters. although, with the new consoles coming, these issues will not be a problem.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts

Advertisement
I was talking about the pre-rendered backgrounds in the game.
Exactly. And I was also refering to prerendered graphics. My point was, the prerendered backgrounds and cutscenes in FF7 are a poor example. The quality of them is mediocre at best. I don''t see why those particular CGs were so hyped.
they were just fine. they fit the game and thats all that matters. FF8 was the same way. but then again, I am disapointed at the CG in games. I only hope that eventually they will be on a level similar to the CG found in movies. Im not dreaming as in not even 5 years, games will be photo realistic.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts

I''m not an expert in this or anything but we''re going to need a lot more processing power to get photo realistic movies in games. I''m pretty sure I read something that said the movies were rendered at 320 by 240 for Resident Evil, so that''s pretty low quality, plus theres the compresion which screws things up even more. Another problem is that TVs aren''t capable of producing photorealistic graphics
TV''s produce photorealistic graphics every day. resolution is the only down side. You dont need more power to display movies, you do however, to render them. but when its rendered and saved as a movie, your comp really doesnt differentiate between the simpsons quality animation or jurassic park. only when you compress video does it need to be processed with more power. Organic quality doesnt come from more better cut scenes though.

Conshape Electronic Arts

Organic. Well, I think that one thing that has a major impact on an organic feel is the music, since music is the main mood-setter in a game or movie. This almost has as much impact as ambient sound effects. To give a game a truly organic feel, add ambient sound effects. If used effectively, you can make the player feel as if he is in the middle of a jungle, or inside a giant stomach, swimming in biological goop, or...well, just use your imagination.

As far as graphics go, definitely get rid of that shiny/new look to them. Bump mapping is a must. The textures should also look dirty and uneven. Tiling is obviously required but don''t let it show. If possible, things should look wet. Perfectly clean & dry textures are too far from organic to even pretend to look that way.

Atmospheric effects really add a lot to the whole "wet", organic atmoshpere (sorry about the bad pun).

For modelling, the model itself matters a lot less then the animation of it. To see the way creature models should be animated (unlike Half-life), see Unreal by Epic Megagames.

That''s just my 2 ¥en, anyway.

[LoRE]
]LoRE[

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement